Epilogue

Twelve years old...

I was busy playing soccer in my old school when I accidentally kicked it almost at someone's face. I rushed to her side and apologized.

I was expecting her to spew some anger at me but she was patient and understanding. It was me who wasn't able to sleep well that day.

I tried to find her, the day after, but I found out that she was just there to watch a ball game with her cousins.

Then came, high school.

I never thought that I will see her again.

She has become more beautiful than ever. Her face shines every time she smiles.

My friends even caught me staring at her but when I turned around only for a second, she was gone already. I had to run to see where she left off but I failed to even get to know her name.

Christmas break, third year high school...

I have to stop whatever I have to do because I have to go to the United States where my mother was. She has been receiving treatments ever since she was diagnosed with cancer of the brain.

Dad has been patient with her all throughout that he asked for my permission if he can go with her in the US for her to receive the best treatment she can get to possibly cure her pain. I was adamant at first but I eventually let him. I was supposed to stop studying but I remembered how Mom always encourages me to study hard and that it is the greatest gift they can give to me now that they are older.

Fourth year high school...

My world stopped when Mom surrendered to her deathbed. She died in her sleep.

We were already in the States and I never left her side. It was only until then when I had to go out.

Naligaw pa ako and had to ask someone for direction but my eyes surprised me when I saw her alone and lost too.

"Hey." I muttered under my breath. I just wanted to sit because I haven't been able to rest after almost an hour walking around.

She looked up to see who I was. She frowned as if I was invading her  privacy and attempting to sit beside her at the bench.

We were at the Golden Gate Bridge and from the looks of it. Something must have happened to her.

Her face was ashen and mad. Like she just found out something and made her react that way.

I wanted to comfort her but I am a mere stranger to her. I doubt she will open up to me.

When I move away from her, I didn't leave her side. I watched her from afar and how she went inside the coffee shop as she waited for her brother. That's the only time I decided to leave her.

College went by so fast.

I was amazed how fate was on my side. She became our classmate.

I was even contemplating where I will study for business months before school has started. But lady luck is good to me.

It was Joana who first became her friend and within the day, we became friends. Our friendship was as hard as a rock.

It scares me.

I actually have learned to like her.

As time passed by, I learned to love her.

And it pained me every time, her boyfriend took advantage of her innocence and she took it naturally. She is a strong woman but her vulnerability became a target of the people to take advantage of her kindness.