Seven

"So, I have to go now." Damon said meeting my eyes as I walked him out of our house.

It has been a week since he stayed here and Kuya Benson wasn't around because he has somewhere important to attend to.

"Yeah. You should." I managed a smile and he flashed me his toothy grin. "Overstaying ka na rito. Icha-charge ko na yan, sige ka." He chortled with my remarks and shook his head.

I was about to say something more when my phone rang. Frowning, I picked it up, "hello?... yes, Kuya?.. wha-?"

My eyes brimmed with tears that Damon has to hold my hand to balance myself.

"Wh-ere are they?" I listened sobbing and heartbroken.
"-okay. Aayusin ko na mga gamit natin." I hung up and he dared to ask.

"Anong nangyari?" He blurt out searching my eyes for answer.

"S-sila mom. Their plane crashed when they were about to go to grandlolo's house in San Francisco." I stammered, tears falling nonstop from my eyes. Then, it dawned on me, "you should go. I-i'll be fine."

Damon shook his head and locked the gate again. He guided me inside our house and into the couch. He placed his backpack on the floor before he rushed to the kitchen to get me a glass of water.

After doing so, he went to me and handed the glass of water for me to drink. I took it and drank.

A wave of emotions clouded over me as I remembered vividly Mom and Dad's last words.

"Look out after each other."

"I love you, both."

"Love you, hon."

It kept on ringing inside my head as it began to sink in and I found myself sobbing for our loss.

I wept bitterly realizing how Mom's sad eyes bore into mine before they went out of the house.

Their memories before they fly for their trip still remained in me. I still find it hard to believe that they are gone so fast.

"Dapat hindi ko sila pinaalis agad ng bahay!" I said angrily. "I should have known that this will happen!"

"Hey. None of these are your fault. It was an accident." Damon shushed me and hugged to comfort me. I let myself cry before I pulled out from his embrace.

"A-aayusin ko pa ang mga gamit namin ni Kuya. Grandlolo wants us to be there right away." I said standing up. He nodded.

"I'll come with you. I'll help you pack your brother's things." He volunteered and I didn't refuse.

We went upstairs and I led him to Kuya's room. I pulled out his backpack and luggage and told Damon to take charge of his things while I go pack mine.

It took me only thirty to forty-five minutes to pack my things. I was on the phone most of the time.

Aunt Bridge called me saying that she has sent us plane tickets for us to get there. Her husband's cousin is a pilot and his friend assists us in our needs for travelling.

She informed Capt. Lucio, our family pilot, to use our private plane for emergency purposes like this.

Kuya Benson and me will be picked up from our house by midnight and assisted to the airport by our cousin, Gerard, who also has learned about our parents' demise.

"I'm done, here." Damon said and looked at me from outside of my bedroom. "Are you alright?"

I didn't answer as I have trouble processing the things that has happened to me lately. To our family.

"Bakit ka-ilangang m-mangyari to?" I can't help not to vent everything to him. "I should have done what they have been wanting me to do before. I should have listened and tried my hardest to follow their wishes!"

"Whatever it is that they want you to do and you failed to do so, it isn't too late to do it now." He said trying to soothe my nerves.

"It isn't too late? They're gone, Damon! G.O.N.E. Gone!" I laughed sarcastically. I hiccuped and wiped away my tears with the back of my hand. "I cannot think of a way to make it up to them."

"Your relatives?" He said suddenly, sounding unsure.

"What about them?" I asked and he looked at my eyes.

"Well, they sure must have known things that you guys don't. They wouldn't have travelled that far without letting any of your relatives know that you will be left here behind." He explained. "Yes, it may be about business trip. But, what if there is more to it for them to stay there at your grandlolo's house for a week without bringing you there? You, guys, are family after all. Let alone, grandchildren. Get my point?"

Suddenly, it all sinks in.

His analogy may have been true and something really must be going on in our family that me and Kuya Benson don't know of.

And, I ought to find it.

I must know about it.