Twenty Eight

One Week Before The Business Party...

I stared at the array of dresses I have bought and already have on my closet.

When I learned about Damon's and Aly's betrayal, I struggled to wake up as if it doesn't affect me at all. I still have life aside from our relationship.

Our failed relationship.

I saw the pictures. Their videos from the news.

They were indeed sweet.

Too intimate for a couple.

I closed my eyes as I felt hot tears coming through it.

I thought I was okay.

I was fine.

When Ate Valeen showed the news to me, I was doubtful. Until their names were dropped.

I couldn't believe it.

We are happy.

He was even sweeter and more romantic and caring than before.

Where did I go wrong?

I happened to drop by her social media account. She was glowing.

Then again, she is always beautiful. She is the perky one in our group.

I'm wondering, does any of our friends know about their scheme behind my back?

Ako na lang ba talaga ang walang alam? To the point na sinasampal na sa akin ng mundo ang katotohanan?

Ganoon ba ako kamanhid at katanga?

Was I too busy with school and work that I forgot about him?

But we always go out.

We spend time together on a regular basis.

What the hell happened to us?

My eyes flew open when I saw who entered my bedroom.

I ran to him, crying.

My Kuya Benson.

He's finally home.

Benson Sandejas

A week before the news got out...

"Have you heard Rodriguez is getting married in a few months?" One of my colleagues, Jason Denzel, asked Robert Spruce, our buddy, when our meeting was over.

Like me, they are also the heirs of their family businesses. They are cool guys who have the same hobbies as mine.

Surviving the business industry wouldn't be possible without their help.

Both of them are graduates of Business Administration in UCLA. I only get to transfer on my last year and fortunately, I adjusted to the culture.

I hung out. We had our occasional night outs. We were wasted. But we graduated.

I also checked on Brittany, at least twice a month.

She's the only family I have.

I admire my sister.

She has become braver as time passed by.

She grew up to be responsible and had learned her way in the corporate world. I even heard our S Footgears Philippines Branch had ranked up in the last quarter.

"Rodriguez? Really? That dude has become the man of the hour lately, huh!" Rob shook his head. Then, he turned to me, "how long has he broken up with your sis? How is she?"

I frowned with what he said.
"Broke up? What do you mean?"

"Oh, man! You still haven't heard the news? You are unbelievable!" Jason exclaimed. "The Echaves and Hilberts will be announcing their engagement at the Black and White party in a week! At least, that's what I know."

"Echaves? Hilbert?" I asked, lost in the conversation. "Can you guys enlighten me with what you are talking about?"

"The only heiress of one of the biggest Aviations Company and Echavez Hotels in your country whose name starts with Alyanna is bound to be married with the Hilbert's heir, Damon!" Jason explained and even clapped as if it's a great news. He even moved his tablet to me for a closer look. "Here are the paparazzi's shots of them in one of their intimate dinners and babe time!"

With my forehead creased in confusion and anger boiling up within me, I swiped the pictures and saw how my sister was being betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend.

"Hilbert? He is a Rodriguez, right?" It was Robert who asked for me.

"Well, news flash! Rodriguez is only adopted. His real parents are the famous Violet and Harry Hilbert. The ones with those five star hotel." Jason smirked at his revelation. "I wonder how the family was able to keep this as a secret. With the paparazzi and all, I am amazed at their control over the media. They must be really that powerful."

Furious, I called my secretary and said, "book me the first flight back home. I will be on a leave for a week."

Tristan Jimenez

I was engrossed with researching for our thesis subject proposal when my eye caught something unpleasant.

I am at our new hangout. The Soft Brews.

I am seated at the far end, in the hopes of having a serene and cozy study area, until I saw the woman. Brittany's supposed to be bestfriend.

"One Americano, please." She said coyly.

"Uh, I'm sorry, Ma'am. But, I recommend you somewhere else." The lady behind the cashier said softly.

Alyanna removed her shades and glared at her. From where I sat, I can sense the growing tension in the air.

"Ano? Meron naman kayo dito ha? I am one of your regulars!" She protested and had the attention of the few people inside.

The owner must have heard her demands and I heard footsteps going down to his people's aid.

"Excuse me, how may I help-?" He began, I think his name is Cotton? Yeah, Joana's Ex. "Oh, if it isn't the bestfriend of the hour! Sorry, but since you won the betrayal of the year award, you are officially banned in our coffee shop!"

"A-ano? Betrayal?" Alyanna asked in disbelief. She scoffed.

"Don't tell me, hindi ka na-inform nila Marites and Marisol? Viral ka, girl! O sya, wala akong planong makipagfriend sayo. Bye, bye!" Cotton mocked her and signaled for their guard to take her out.

"Wait! This is preposterous! I will sue you!" Alyanna cried and tried to yank her arm as she was escorted gently by their guard.

"Wew. Ka-imbyerna si Ate mo girl, ha!" Cotton shook his head and chuckled. He turned to his employees, "oks lang kayo? Basta pag pumunta pa yan dito or si lalake, you guys have the authority to kick them out. Call the guard or me. They are banned from our shop."

I witnessed how people loved Brittany. She may be the silent and occasional bubbly type, but she is one of the nicest.

No wonder, I fell for her.