Thirty One

The ride to Baguio was epic. It was long and fun.

I never thought I needed this kind of break from the busy life ahead of me. And it becomes more memorable that I get to spend it with my friends.

"Uy! Akin na yung peanut butter!" That was Cotton yelling at the backseat. We were on the road for more than three hours and Lionel has requested for someone to drive the car. It was Tristan who took over.

At, oo. May tinapay silang binaon. Mga handa ang loko. Hindi masyadong prepared.

I shook my head at how carefree everybody are. It's already past 11 pm and we were on the road since eight in the evening.

Ang tataas ng energy kahit halos oras na ng tulog para sa karamihan. I began to yawn.

My energy isn't cooperative to me because of the series of stress at work and the recent turmoil I went thru.

"Ang ingay nyo! Magpatulog naman kayo, please!" That was Jewel who protested. Her head was on Alvin's shoulder who was also sleeping at the back.

Nagka-iba na ang mga seating arrangement when we had our stopover at the Gas Station when we had to pee. Katabi ni Tristan sa harap si Joana who wished for some private space earlier.

At the middle seat were Jewel at the window seat, Alvin and me at the side of the door. Backseat includes Joana beside the window, Cotton and Lionel.

When Cotton heard Jewel's protest, he mumbled an apology and continued munching on the bread. Obviously, he is indeed a lover of sweets. Hindi yata mabubuhay eto ng walang matamis na dumadaloy sa katawan niya.

The ride to the hotel was quite smooth and less bumpy. We arrived there after five hours and had our rooms immediately.

Us girls occupied the middle section of the 3rd floor while the boys at the other end. I started pulling out my toiletries pouch and when I took a good look at the gym bag they prepared for me, I must say, they know me too well.

I smiled and saw how the two girls were already snoring on the single beds beside me and I made sure to lock our door before I went to the bathroom to wash my face again. I brushed my teeth and once done, I turned off the lights and went to bed.

We awoke the next morning at eight and took turns to shower despite of the cold weather this place has. We agreed to meet at the lobby by nine to have breakfast and begin our tour.

It was Alvin who took care of our itinerary and it was another adventure. We took a lot of photos in the different tourist spots here in Baguio: The Wright Park, Burnham Park, The Mansion and had the Diplomat Hotel for the last part.

It was crazy. The guys started plotting tricks on the girls, especially Jewel who is afraid of ghosts.
Me and Joana could only roll our eyes and laugh at them.

Once we were done, it was Lionel who drove us back to the hotel and we agreed to walk to the night market and enjoy the cold climate Baguio is known for.

As we walked along, I let them go first. It was Jewel and Alvin who led us in front, followed by Cotton, Joana and Lionel and then me and Tristan at the back. Cars passed by us as we treaded on the sidewalk.

I shivered against the cold with my hands inside my jacket's pockets.

"Grabe! Ang lamig! Ang sarap!" Alvin squealed in front and we laughed in response.

"Ang sarap ka dyan! Nangangatog ka na oh!" Jewel remarked and nudged him while I giggled at the back.

"Uy, may concerned!" Cotton teased and our group started making kissing noises which made them blush and walk briskly leaving us who were carefully walking down the road.

"Asar talo talaga yun! Hahah! Awit!" Cotton roared and Joana slapped his arm.

"Tigilan mo kasi! Kapag napikon yun, nako ka!" Joana scolded him and she gasped when smoke escaped her mouth. "Uy, grabe! Anong temperature na ba tayo? Umuusok na mga bibig natin oh!" She asked in amazement and we walked quickly to the night market which is a few steps away from us.

"Cool! The temp dropped to 14° tonight!" Lionel whistled and returned his phone inside his pocket.

"Hindi yata t-tatalab ang dalawang patong na damit sa akin." I said, stuttering and suddenly, I felt Tristan closing in on me.

We stopped at the side and let them go ahead.

"Ba-bakit, Stan?" I asked in confusion when he grabbed my right hand and enclosed it with his before putting it inside his pocket.

"Keeping you warm, Brit." He said, smiling. "Tara, iniwan na nila tayo oh."

I blinked and we followed them immediately, my right hand entwined with his. Given that situation, we have to walk closely so that I won't trip.

On the other hand, it feels warm and comfortable as we held hands underneath his pocket.

It was both calming and reassuring. He is the lifesaver he always is.

We arrived at the night market with them buying shirts and some souvenirs.

'Stan, being a gentleman, let me go for a moment and I smiled at him gratefully.

I am indeed so blessed to have them all. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

 I wouldn't trade them for anything