Eight

Here we are in Grandlolo's mansion. All of our family members are present and I saw Aunt Felicia, the one whom I am closest to, rushed to me as soon as she saw me in front of the house.

"Brit!" She exclaimed and enveloped me into a hug. It has been a while since we last saw each other.

Her beauty didn't fade despite her wrinkles and old age. She is our mom's older sister. Older by four years.

"Tita Fely." I answered with weak energy.

"Halika na. Pasok na tayo sa loob." She said guiding me inside.

Kuya Benson was welcomed by Tita Fely's sons, Henry and Riggy. Both are Kuya's age so they got along well.

As we went inside, the familiar feeling of home welcomed me. But this time, sadness surrounds us.

Inside the living room, in his throne, was our Grandlolo. He is in his seventies but his young features is still visible under his eyes. A hint of playfulness and authoritative aura are evident in his eyes.

He is, indeed, Mom's male version. His eyes speak of thousand emotions. His voice was breaking as he was being comforted by one of our uncles.

Both Mom and Dad have tight bonding with their siblings. As far as I know, Mom is a daddy's girl.

She may have appeared tough but her daughter's clinginess to a father is still present. Was.

It was a painful sight seeing the man I always looked up to break into tears.

"Dad. Sila Brittany and Benson, andito na po." Tita Fely said and all eyes were on us.

Grandlolo's eyes immediately turned to us and locked gaze at me. He stood up with his cane and gave me his warm hug.

Just like that, my own tears fell. I also could hear Kuya Benson's muffled sobs as we tightly hug our Grandlolo.

"Come inside and sit with me. I miss you so much, mga apo." Grandlolo's voice quivered as he talked.

Our relatives made way for us and left us alone in the living room with him. The uncles and cousins went into the backyard, others to the entertainment room and the aunts were in the kitchen.

"How have you been, mga apo?" He asked and wiped his own tears, in the hopes of suppressing his emotions. "Akala ko, sa Pasko pa tayo magkikita pagkauwi ko. I didn't expect to have a reunion this early."

I sniffed and wiped my tears that have been flowing nonstop for the past hours. I thought my tearducts are dry. But, I guess, they aren't.

"Opo nga eh." I muttered, not knowing what to say.

"Hey. From now on, you will be living here. I will provide all your needs. You will be enrolled in Stanford University —" he began but I cut him off.

"—I will be studying in the Philippines. I already passed the university I have been wanting to study in." I said boldly. "Please, just let me do what I want."

"I will be the one staying and studying in Stanford, Grandlolo." Kuya Benson butt in and our eyes met.

I know he doesn't want to stay here but what is he doing?

He shook his head at me as if saying, he's going to be alright.

"Let Brittany study in the Philippines. Someone has to manage our shoe and bag retail company back there, GL." He said which earned a long pause from Grandlolo.

"The business hasn't occurred to me yet. But now that you put it that way, I guess you are right. Our Brittany will take over." Grandlolo said and fixed his gaze at me.

My jaw dropped open in shock on how they easily decided and thought of my future just like that.

"So, honey, Brittany? Your wish is granted. You will still continue studying in the Philippines as you wish." Grandlolo said in finality. "Someone will be training you to handle the family business. Your Kuya Benson will, in turn, be handling the hotel here in San Francisco. Are you sure you don't want to study here?"

"This is unbelievable!" I exclaimed, standing up. I couldn't hold it in any longer. I faced Kuya Benson in frustration and anger, "seriously, Kuya? Ganoon kadali akong iwan sa bahay? Ganoon na lang kadali na ipasa sa akin ang negosyo at magpasya para sa kinabukasan ko? Have you been planning this all along?"

"Brit! It's not what you think!" He said but I ran up to the street and began to walk away from the place I used to call home to vent out my frustrations.

What kind of family do I have?

We just lost our parents and now they are still thinking of the business?

Unbelievable!