Sixteen

My forehead creased when I saw the files on top of my desk. It has been more than six months since I began my training here in Sandejas and Santino Corp. under the assistance and supervision of our Uncle Bert.

Uncle Bert is Dad's brother and probably one of the nicest among their siblings. He is very approachable and kind to me. He treats me as if I'm his own daughter.
That fact alone made me miss my father.

"Miss Valeen, please come to my office. Thank you." I told my Mom's secretary using our intercom. I sighed deeply and stared at the pile of folders in front of me.

Minutes later, I heard two knocks on my door and saw her pretty face. Valeen is a twenty-eight year old woman and Mom's secretary for more than five years. She never talked about her personal life to me maybe, because, I have only known her for only three years whenever I dropped by here when Mom has asked me for some errands back then.

I never asked, also. Those times, it never occurred to me that I will be handling this company, this early.

"Yes, dear? I know, it's quite a lot." Miss Valeen sighed and she sat on the chair across Mom's— my— table.
"The bosses of the other departments have been waiting for the approval since your mom passed away. They have sent their condolences but they couldn't ignore the urgency of stocks in the market."

I raised my eyes to meet hers and asked her suddenly, "do you ever have a boyfriend? Do you have a life outside work? Do you party every Friday night? How was Mom as your boss before?"

"Uh. Your mom is very nice and considerate." Miss Valeen stammered and cleared her throat. She tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear and continued with confidence, "yes. I actually have a fiance. Sayang nga lang because I was planning to make your mom one of my ninangs sa wedding namin in five months. But, she passed away even before it happened. Yes, I have a life outside of work. My friends and I will be meeting tomorrow at Rockwell and have fun. Do those things answer your question, Miss Brittany?"

It was my turn to gape at her. I shook my head in response to her question. I smiled warmly at her, "sorry to ask those personal things. It just amazes me how you were able to keep track of everything beside the work schedules we have. I can barely keep up with everything that will be coming within my grasps."

"Miss Brittany." She began and held my hand on top of the table before she met my eyes. "You are only eighteen years old. You are still a college student. Yet, here you are, managing your family's company. You are also taking crash course just to understand the ins and outs of the business. Stop being too hard on yourself. You are still starting. Do not forget to take a rest. It doesn't mean you are quitting. Just learn to know when to have fun and when to be serious."

Her words got to me and I found myself a sister in her. An older sister who can guide me and be there for me when no one else is.

Suddenly, my phone rang and our thoughts were diverted to it.

Damon calling...

"Sagutin mo na yan." She winked and began to stand up. I blinked at her in curiosity. "Oops, I meant answer the call. Mas maganda din siguro na sagutin mo na din sya. You deserve to be happy too, Miss Brittany. I will be just outside if ever you need me. Just call me on my intercom, huh."

"Ah, okay. Alright." I said and managed a giggle. I cleared my throat and answered the phone.

A few hours passed and I saw Damon smiling at me and welcoming me with a bouquet of red roses.

In a matter of moments, Miss Valeen's words got to me and I found my arms hanging around Damon's neck and gazing into his eyes.

"Wow! What a surprise! Ako dapat susurpresa sayo pero nabigla ako sa akto mo ngayon." He chuckled and dropped a kiss on my forehead. I closed my eyes praying that my decision is right.

"Hello, babe." I said and smiled back at him. It was his turn to blink and I felt his arms encircling me halted with what he hears. His jaw literally dropped.

"Huh? T-tama ba ang rinig ko?" He asked and I lifted his jaw to close it. It was my turn to kiss him quickly on his lips.

"Yes, babe. I love you, too." I said and before I knew it, he was lifting me off the ground of the parking lot in glee.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" He grinned and gave me a passionate kiss to seal our love. "I promise you won't regret loving me too. I love you so much, Brittany Sandejas."