Chapter Seven

I went with Kurt to band practice and it went much smoother than the day before, thankfully. Krist kept cracking jokes about how Kurt would keep staring at me while playing. After practice, Kurt took me to get ice cream as promised and then we went back to his place again. I just was not in the mood to go back home yet. We listened to records and talked for hours. Before I knew it, it was three in the morning. "Fuck, my mom is going to kill me. " I said, worried. "Jade, you really shouldn't go home this late. Just tell her you crashed at a friend's place for the night and go home in the morning. " Kurt said as he ran his fingers through my hair. I agreed. This night was too perfect and I didn't want it to end. "I'll sleep on the couch, you can have my bed." Kurt insisted. "Kurt, are you sure? I mean, you can sleep with me its not like anything is gonna happen. Its alright. I promise. Besides, I'll get lonely." I smiled at him. I followed Kurt to his bedroom and it was just as messy as the rest of the tiny house. He threw me a flannel and some sweatpants to sleep in. "You can change if you want, i'm gonna go get something to drink. Be right back." He smiled at me as he left the room. I quickly put on the clothes that smelled like him and tried to process what all had happened today. I was so happy that I didn't even know it was possible. And then, I heard a loud thump followed by Kurt cussing and sounding very panicked. "Shit!!! Fuck! You stupid bastard!! NO! NO NO NO!!!" Kurt screamed. My heart pounded in my chest. I ran out of his room. "Kurt?! What happened? What's wrong?!" I asked, worried. There were tears streaming down his face. "I killed him Jade, my rat. I killed him. I accidentally stepped on him!!" Kurt cried. I pulled him close to me and stroked his hair. "Shhh, Kurt i'm so so sorry. Its not your fault though okay? You didn't mean to. " I said, softly. "I fucking hate myself, Jade. I hate myself for that. " He mumbled into my shoulder, still crying. "Kurt, no. Shhh, come here." I grabbed his hand and led him to his room. I held him close to me as we layed on his bed. Kurt was still crying and I wasn't sure what to do to help him. So I took a deep breath and sang. I ran my fingers through his blonde hair and sang to him softly until he fell asleep. He slept in fetile position and reminded me of a small, frail child. I held him close to me and breathed his scent in. It wasn't very long until I drifted off into the most peacful sleep I had ever slept.