Chapter Twenty-Three

A few weeks passed and I was feeling like I was going to explode. I was starting to become really nervous about being a new parent, and wondering how Kurt would handle it. We were about to leave to head to a show one afternoon, and I was feeling a little strange. I didn't wanna worry Kurt so I didn't mention it or really think too much of it. Just as we were about to head out the door, the phone rang. I picked it up. "Jade? Hey, its Shelli. I have a bitch of a hangover and there's no way I'll be able to make it to the show tonight. I hope you'll be having just as much fun backstage without me." Shelli's voice definitely sounded like she was sick. "That's a bummer. Next time, maybe you should stop drinking when someone warns you." I laughed. "Feel better, I'll have such a blast without you." I said, trying not to laugh at how fucked up she sounded. "Thanks, bitch. Love you." She said before hanging up the phone. "Love you too, Shell." I hung up the phone and Kurt was looking at me, confused. "Shelli has a hangover and is staying home." I smiled as I shook my head. "You warned her." He smiled and held the door open for me. I was feeling mild pains in my back but I didn't mention it. It was barely noticeable and I figured it was just all in my head. The guys were doing soundcheck and I was beginning to feel light headed. I realized I hadn't drank any water all day and went to get some from the refreshment table. I instantly felt better and was beginning to feel relieved.
About an hour and a half later, it was almost time for the concert to start. "Jade, are you feeling alright?" Kurt asked, seriously. "Yeah, i'm fine. I think I haven't been drinking enough water lately. I'm probably a little dehydrated." I replied as he handed me another water bottle and held me close. "Jade, sorry but you gotta let go of our lead singer now! The show is starting soon!" Krist yelled as he walked by. "Break a leg, Cobain." I said as he kissed me, then my belly. It had sort of became a ritual thing. He always kissed the baby goodbye too. I took a seat backstage on the couch. 'Damn, this is gonna kinda suck without Shelli here." I thought to myself. The guys were into about their fifth song, "Polly", when all of a sudden I felt a sharp pain in my lower back and stomach. Then, I realized the couch I was sitting on felt soaked. 'Did my fucking water break? Oh God.' I thought to myself as another sharp pain hit me, then another one, each one a little worse than the one before. I tried to slowly stand up but couldn't. I was backstage all alone, going into labor with no way to get help. Tears were streaming down my face and my breaths were getting short due to pain and panicking. I slowly sank to the floor and crawled to the door the best I could. I was about three feet away when the door opened. It was the stage manager. "Mrs. Cobain, are you alright?" He said, seriously. "I'm going into fucking labor, go get my fucking boyfriend and get me to a damn hospital before I have this baby right here." I yelled as the pain became worse. "Oh shit. Okay, okay." He ran out of the room as I let out a scream.
Kurt's Point of View
As I played the last few notes of "Breed" , my heart sunk into the pit of my stomach when I saw our stage manager run onto the stage. I knew exactly what it was. Something was wrong with Jade. I dropped my guitar as he quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side. "Jade is in labor." Those words terrified me. Without thinking, I ran straight to her. She was laying on the floor, screaming in pain and I felt fucking helpless. 'C'mon you piece of shit, be a fucking man. ' I thought to myself as I lifted her off the floor. "Kurt, I can't fucking do this. I can't. Oh God, get me to a hospital. Now." Jade said with a pained, terrified voice. I hurried to the car and tried not to let myself pass out from fear. 'What if I'm a shitty dad? What if i'm not cut out for this? My daughter needs to have a family and a stable home. C'mon, be a fucking man.' I repeated over and over in my head as I grabbed Jade's hand while driving away.
Jade's Point of View
I had never felt such intense physical pain before. I have never felt so scared either. At least Kurt drove faster than I've ever seen him drive. I squeezed his hand as another contraction hit. "Breath, babe. I'm right here, its gonna be alright." Kurt said as he lifted my hand and kissed it. He sped into the parking lot of the hospital and rushed over to my side of the car. Kurt picked me up and got us inside as fast as he could. "My girlfriend is in labor. We need help as soon as possible." Kurt mumbled to the lady at the desk. I buried my face into his chest as the pain got worse. "Alright, hang on one second." The woman said with an annoyed voice. "I don't fucking have a second, this baby is going to come out any minute. " I yelled, not even able to help it. She sighed and paged a nurse who put me into a wheelchair. I was in a hospital bed within minutes. "Kurt, i can't do this. I think i'm. I'm gonna pass out. " I said as my vision was becoming blurry. "You can't pass out just yet, this baby is on its way, you gotta push this baby out. Right now. " I heard the doctor say. Another contraction hit and even though I was an inch away from becoming unconscious, i did as told.
Kurt's Point of View
My stomach burned with nausea as I watched Jade give birth to our child. I cringed every time I heard her scream, every time I saw her eyes roll into the back of her head. I knew something wasn't right, she was passing out and still she was doing what they say is the most painful thing in the world. She was so fucking strong, I honestly didn't know how she was doing it. She looked unhealthy, pale with beads of sweat all over her skin, her hair drenched with sweat coming from the pain. I felt like I was in a dream, a really bad one. She let out one more scream and I looked down to see our baby girl in the doctors hands. My bad dream had turned to the most beautiful one to ever exist.