Chapter Thirty Three

I quickly turned on the shower and let the cold water pour over Kurt's lifeless body. "Kurt, please. Please." I whispered as I cried, hoping the water would do something. I checked his pulse, it was there, but was beating very slowly and lightly. I ran to the phone and dialed 911. "Yes, my boyfriend overdosed." My distressed voice cracked as I spoke. "Do you know what on?" The 911 operator asked. "Heroin." I mumbled into the phone as I held Kurt's hand, making sure he still had a pulse. The rest of the phone conversation was a blur. All I heard was "Stay with him, help is on the way right now." Kurt's face was so pale that it was getting a purple tint to it. "You can't leave me Kurt!!!! You can't leave Frances, wake up!!!" I screamed as I shook him again. Still, nothing. I sobbed as I climbed into the tub next to him and held him as I cried. 'I have to get Frances to Sue.' I thought to myself. With shaking knees, I got up and grabbed the phone. I dialed Sue's room number without even thinking. "Sue, um. I need for you to come get Frances. Uh, Kurt..Kurt overdosed." The words felt like knives and I couldn't breathe. "Oh no, Sweetie. Im coming right now." I hung up the phone and checked his pulse again. It was still there, thank god. I went over to Frances, still in her stroller asleep. I cried even harder when I looked at her. There was a knock on the door and I quickly opened it. Sue pulled me into a hug and gently rubbed my back. "Where is he?" She asked, hesitantly. "He's in the bathtub, the ambulance is on its way. Thank you so much for taking Frances. I'll call you and keep you updated." I spoke, looking down at my sleeping child. I kissed Frances on her forehead and they were out the door. Not even a minute after I got back to Kurt's side, the paramedics were at the door. They moved franticly and my body was numb. I had never felt so much fear in my entire life. Everything was a blur. I was hearing bits and pieces of things they were saying, I couldn't focus my attention on anything but 'please don't let him die.' The words spun over and over in my head. "We have a pulse, but its barely there." I heard one of them say as they put him on a stretcher. They sped down the hall and out the door and I followed behind them. I sat next to him in the ambulance as a nurse injected him with something. "We need to get his heart beating a little stronger." She said as another nurse put monitors all over him. "Shit." A nurse said, paniced as they quickly wheeled him through the hospital doors. "Code blue." I heard one of them say. 'Code blue? No, not Kurt. No. No. His heart can't stop.' I thought to myself as my knees became weak. "Get me a defibulator. Now." One of them yelled as we sprinted down the hall. We approached a set of doors going into a large room. "Im sorry ma'm, we can't let you in here. His heart has stopped, we need to start it back. " The nurse who stayed outside with me said. "No. Please. No." I sobbed as I collapsed to the floor. I looked up and the nurse was gone. I had never wanted to see Kurt open his angelic, bright blue eyes so bad before. 'He can't die, he can't die, he can't die.' The words spun in my head as I crawled to a trashcan and threw up. I didn't know what to do, or where to go. Time didn't exist, and I didn't know how long I sat next to the trashcan puking my guts out and sobbing so hard it felt like my head was gonna explode. "He's stable, his pulse is back." I heard a voice say. I looked up at the nurse who was standing in front of me. "He should be alright, sweetheart. But, its pretty clear to us that he's in a coma. Which means there's no telling when he'll wake up. We're putting him in a room and you'll be able to see him soon." She slightly smiled. "Thank you so much." My voice didn't sound like me, and it was barely there. "Jade!" A familar, somewhat distant voice yelled. I looked up and Shelli, followed by Krist, and Dave were running down the hall. "Sue called us, how's he doing?" Shelli asked. I stood up with wobbly legs and collapsed into all three of their arms as more tears flooded my face. "His heart fucking stopped. They brought him back but he's in a coma." I managed to choke out in between tears. "Oh fuck." Krist said, shocked. My head began to feel very dizzy. "Its gonna be alright, Jade." Dave's words floated through the air like a strange dream. Then, everything went black as my knees gave out.