Chapter Thirty Five

"Debbie?" I asked, a little shocked to see her. "Is everything alright, sweetie? Where's Kurt and the little one? I'd love to see her." She said as she smiled. At this point, I didn't know how my body was capable of even forming more tears. "Kurt overdosed and he's in a coma. Frances is with our nanny." I mumbled, trying not to cry. Debbie's smile faded and her face dropped. "Oh no. I'm so sorry. I hate to see hear that. He was doing so good." She said, with sad eyes. "His heart stopped for a minute. I thought I lost him." Tears poured down my face for the millionth time and Debbie pulled me into a hug. "Listen Jade, when he gets out of this. It'd be your best choice to send him back to us at rehab. He needs help if he wants to live. Heroin addiction is a nasty, nasty thing. You and that baby need him. " Debbie was straight to the point. That's what I always liked about her. "He proposed to me. I got home from finding my wedding dress and found him unconcious in the bathroom." I mumbled, fidgeting with the ring on my finger. "Well, I better get an invite to the wedding." She slightly smiled. "For sure. I just hope he comes out of this soon. I can't stand it. Its crushing me. What're you here for though?" I asked, curiously. "I was actually visiting another patient I know who overdosed. Its a small world." She slightly smiled. "A small, fucked up world." I sighed. Debbie seemed a little shocked by my cussing. "Sorry, I've had a really hard time. My emotions are insane." I mumbled. "Don't you worry about it, sweetie. Listen, I'll give you my number, if you need anything at all, you call me. And even if you don't, keep me updated. But, I gotta get going back to work. Good luck and stay strong." She said before handing me her number and hugging me goodbye. I called Sue and told her what all had happened. She said that Frances was doing just fine and just layed down for a nap. I told her to tell her I loved her, and hung up the phone before making my way back to Kurt's room. When I arrived, everyone was sitting on the bench, sipping coffee. "The doctor just left, he said there's really no telling when Kurt could wake up. That it'd be best for us to go home and get some rest, that they would call as soon as he opens his eyes." Shelli said, handing me a cup of coffee. "I can't leave his side. I wanna be here when he wakes up." I spat out in a nervous frenzy. "Jade, shh. You need rest. Frances needs you. Kurt would want you to be with Frances until he wakes up. They promised they would call the second he's awake or something changes." Shelli said soothingly, grabbing my arms. I thought about it and realized she was right, even though I didn't wanna leave his side. Frances needed me, and I needed to hold my little girl. I decided that seeing Kurt before we left would only make leaving worse. So, I followed Shelli's lead down the halls and out the door. The car ride back to the hotel was filled with silence. Everyone was exhausted and still in shock of everything. As soon as I walked through the main doors of the hotel, it seemed like I couldn't get to Frances fast enough. I didn't have to think about where to go, instinct took over and I already knew. I quietly knocked on Sue's door and she quickly opened it. She gave me a hug and told me everything was gonna be okay. "Frances is asleep but she should be waking up soon." She said, pointing to the bed. "Wait, what time is it even?" I asked, confused. "Its almost 9 in the morning." She said as she gathered Frances's things. I had no sense of time the entire time I was at the hospital. And suddenly, I felt exhausted. Just as Sue handed me her bags, I heard little noises coming from the bed. I smiled the best I could and went to pick her up. "Hi baby girl, mommy loves you so much." I whispered as a few tears fell down my face. "Mama" Her little voice said, and my jaw dropped in shock. Sue smiled and clapped for her. "Good job Frances! I thought you'd never say it, you're such a little daddy's girl." I said as my stomach churned. "Thank you so much for watching her. I don't know what I would've done without you." I slightly smiled and headed out the door. I dug for the room key and sighed as I opened the door to our room. I was suddenly filled with sadness and emptyness as I stepped inside. Kurt wouldn't be there to greet,to cuddle up next to at night,play music with, or to crack jokes as we sat on the balcony in the mornings. I sat Frances in her playpin and decided to get cleaning up the bathroom over with. I was soaking up the water in the floor with some towels when I saw a folded up piece of paper laying in the sink. My heart sank into my stomach. My hands shook as I opened it up. "I fucking love you, I'm sorry. Im so sorry." I covered my mouth and sank to the floor. 'Did he mean to do this?' I asked myself as I sat in the floor crying. "Dada! Dada!" Frances screamed as she threw some toys. "Frances, I know. I know. I want daddy too." I wiped my face as I picked her up. I layed down on the bed and held her close to me as I quietly sang with what little voice I had left. She drifted to sleep, and my burning, swollen eyes couldn't fight staying awake anymore. I fell asleep holding my little girl in my arms, waiting on the phone call that our world was awake again.