Chapter 13

*NOT EDITED*

I hear a call coming from my phone as I walk out of my bathroom and into my bedroom━still haven't unpacked my stuff

I hear a call coming from my phone as I walk out of my bathroom and into my bedroom━still haven't unpacked my stuff. I grab my phone off my night stand as I pass on my way to my desk. I look at the caller ID━Cecilia Mitchell.

I smile as I answer, "Mom. Hi." I say siting down.

"Oh Katherine, I haven't heard from you in a while." I hear her cheerful voice which makes me miss her even more. She was disappointed when she found out I'd be transferring to Delcour, even though Delcour is still a ivy league school mom wanted me to stay in New York.

"I know I'm sorry mom. I have this essay I needed to finish and midterms are starting soon so I'm stressed about that." I put the phone on speaker so I can work on my essay. "What's up though?"

"Oh nothing much I just wanted to check up on you. What's this essay for?"

"Lit class, I'm supposed to be working on it with Chase but he's busy today so I just told him I'd finish it alone." I say, writing some of the essay.

"Alone? But you just said you'd be doing it in partners." Her voice now takes a note I know all to well.

"Sorry I didn't explain better, I meant that we did more that half the essay together, but he can't finish it with me so we decided to write the end of the essay separately." I explain, still writing.

"That makes more sense. Are you doing it now?" She asks.

"Yes mom, I'm doing it now." I lean back in my chair as I get stuck on a part of the essay. "How's the book your writing━the, uh, fantasy one?" I ask, trying to change the subject, and have a reason not to do this damn essay.

"Its going well, publisher told me the date he wanted the draft done by. I'll send you the draft after I'm done and you can tell me if it's good." She says.

"Oh mom, your book will be amazing. All your books are amazing." I tell her as I grab a pen and start opening and closing it.

"Thanks honey."

"How's dad?" I ask.

"He's bored out of his mind, he's thinking about picking up new hobbies. He told me he wants to try knitting." She sounds horrified that I try not to laugh.

"God mom, don't let him he'll be made fun of by all the hockey fans. Lord knows my teammates would laugh if they found out." I say laughing, my mother joining.

"So how do you like the team, and teammates?" 

"The team is amazing, the teammates are funny, arrogant but funny. It's kind of like have a bunch of...brothers?" I say wryly because if they knew I just referred to them as my brother they die of humiliation. 

As if my mother is reading my mind she says, "Well that's mean Katherine. Those boys probably think your the hottest thing that's entered the arena."

I mock gasp, "Why not they're lives?"

But before my mother could answer Lexi walks in my room, "Hey Kat, I was wondering can━" She stops speaking when she realizes that I'm on the phone, "Oh sorry."

"Lexi is that you?" My mother asks.

Lexi's whole face lights up, "Cecilia. Hi." She come over to my desk.

"How is my favourite non-daughter." Mom asks. Which makes both me and Lexi laugh.

"I'm good Cecilia, how are you?"

"Amazing,"

Lexi catches the sight of my many unpacked boxes. "God Kat, its been like over 2 weeks, unpack your things."

That gets my mothers attention, "Katherine Cali Alexandra Mitchell, you haven't unpacked yet!" Her stern voice says as a statement. 

"I don't really have the time." I mumble to both my bestfriend and mother who are ganging up on me.

"Make the time. You cannot work in a mess━" Stops abruptly, then there's mumbling. "Sorry Katherine, I have to go but god clean you room. Bye Katherine, bye Lexi.

"Bye mom."

"Bye Cecilia." We say at the same time.

After I hang up I spin my chair to face Lexi, "What were you asking when you came in here?" I ask her. 

"I was just wondering if I could have your notes from writing class, I was kind of spaced out yesterday." She mumbles the last part. But I know that look.

"What's wrong?" I ask, standing and walking over to Lexi.

She shrugs, "I don't know. It's just you know when you get that, uh, feeling when your dating someone?" She takes a deep breath, "Never mind I'm probably just imagining it." She stands up.

"No wait Lexi, are you okay?" I ask not really know what she's talking about. 

She squares her shoulders and smiles, "Really it's nothing Kat."

I eye her for a second, and either she's using her super lying skills or she's fine. I relent so I'm not bugging her. "Okay but if you need to talk I'm here." I say going over to my desk and grabbing the notes, and handing them to her.

"Thanks." She says before leaving and going to her room.

And now I need to get ready.