Chapter 39

*NOT EDITED*

I thought Katherine would've told me if she'd ever accepted a contract

I thought Katherine would've told me if she'd ever accepted a contract. And when she hasn't mentioned it for a while I thought she was caught between which to accept.

And since James revealed her decision she hasn't talked to me or barely looked at me. Not even in the Taxi. We decided we wanted to go back to the penthouse early. Her parents wanted to stay later.

She also doesn't speak to me as we go up to the penthouse or as we head to our room. It's only until we step inside when she talks, "I'm going for a shower." She excuses.

Before she can walk a step towards the bathroom I wrap an hand around her arm and gently pull her backwards. "Were you ever going to tell me?"

She steps back and remove her coat, "Yeah. Eventually." She says last the last part slowly.

I try not to flinch. "Why not tell me right away? That's how this relationship works, communication."

She bites her lip, "I didn't tell you because... because it's not Chicago. It's not close to you, but it's my dream team. And I was scared how you were going to react." 

I cup her jaw, "How I'd react? I'm happy for you, Fly. As you said it's you dream team. You got accepted to your dream team, you should be happy for that." I say before kissing her forehead.

She nods as she leans into my touch. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's okay, Fly. Just tell me this stuff"

She nods. Looks up, "Okay I actually need to shower. You coming?"

I shake my head. She walks into the bathroom. 

I can't stop thinking about it even as the water turns on. 

I know I shouldn't be thinking this far ahead but I can't stop thinking about how when we graduate I'm going to go to Chicago while Katherine goes to Boston.

Us both being in hockey would be difficult enough but with us being in separate States would be impossible.

Which is why I don't even think as I grab my phone. He answers on the first ring, "Randall Clarkson."

"Hey Randall, it's Rohan."

"Oh hey Rohan! How are you?" 

I go and sit on the edge of the bed, "Good. But I have some bad news."

He's silent for a second before, "What is it?"

"I know the contract hasn't been drawn up yet, but I need to back out for a personal reason."

He's silent again, "May I ask why?"

I take a breath, "Long story short, my girlfriend has accepted a Boston contract and, I don't know━"

He interrupts me, "You don't need to say more, Rohan."

"Thank you Randall."

Right after I hang up with Randall I make another call.

"This is Frederick Thilber, Boston Bruins scout."

"Hey Fred, it's Rohan Griffin. About the contract you offered me..."