Guilt

Maaran was getting ready for his presentation. This was very important to him, he has been planning this for a long time. It was his mother’s wish  to open a charity organization to those in need of help. Finally he found a convincing deal, all he got to do was to impress them. He was very nervous and also very happy that he is able to fulfill his mother’s wish. He called Shivya’s landline in the cabin to remind her that there was ten minutes for the meeting to start. The call went unanswered. He thought probably she was getting ready.

Maaran left the cabin and met Rishi who was coming to him with the files. “Dei call Shivya.” Rishi rushed to her cabin and saw no one there. He checked and tried her mobile but it was switched off. Maaran turned and saw Rishi with a worried look. Rishi looked at him and hesitated to say that Shivya wasn’t back yet. He knows the importance of this project and how much  hard work Maaran  has put into this. “Dei engha da Shivya, ava kitta thaan da pendrive iruuku,” Maaran said  which made Rishi even more concerned. “Dei ava cabin la illa da.” Maaran’s eyebrows furrowed. “Then where is she?” he became angry. Then he remembered Shivya going out with a boy. He looked at the watch and only five more minutes were there for the meeting. Maaran got furious. “Dei enna seiva na theriyaatha , ennaka antha pendrive vennum. Call Shivya right now,” he yelled at Rishi. Maaran left to the meeting hall hoping that Shivya would be there but that wasn’t the case.

~~~

Shivya prayed all the gods she knew to clear the traffic. She cursed herself for not keeping a track of time. She thought that she should have atleast given the pendrive to Rishi anna or Maaran. “Dei Sathya innum five minutes thaan irruka da,” she started panicking. The traffic light shifted to  green  and Sathya accelerated his bike. They stopped in front of the company and Shivya looked at the time and starting running. It was her bad luck the lift was taking forever. She took the stairs and ran. She missed a stair and sprained her ankle. She did not bother about that and rushed to the meeting hall and saw an angry Maaran pacing in front of the board room.

~~~

Maaran saw the time he became furious every passing second. The investors also arrived. He signed Rishi to take them in. As he turned around, he saw Shivya running to him. He sighed in  relief. She stood in front of him to catch her breath. “Sir sorry,” she said genuinely. “Pen drive,” he said coldly stretching his hand forward. Shivya sensed that he was very disappointed and angry so  did not further  reason,just handed over the pendrive and followed him. Maaran presented well and the investors were very well impressed. “Mr. Maaran we are very much impressed about your project. We will call you in the evening today and inform you our decision,” they said and bid bye.

Everyone left the meeting hall and Maaran shouted, “Miss Shivya.” Shivya jerked at the loud voice. She turned to look at Maaran looking at her  fuming with anger.He walked towards her and held her wrist tightly and dragged her towards his cabin. Every step they took Maaran’s hold on her increased and Shivya winced in pain. “What do u think of yourself?”, he shouted at her as he banged the door close. “I gave you a responsibility but this is what you do. You can enjoy with your boyfriend any time but my work shouldn’t be delayed.” Shivya furrowed her eyebrows at the mention of boyfriend. “Sir no I….” Maaran cut her off ,”look I don’t need any explanation. Onnuka enna theeriyum dreams a pathi. Suma suma  pesa mattum theriyadhu,” he said. Shivya tried to reason and apologise  but he didn’t let her speak. “ I could have lost this deal, because of your irresponsiblilty. They even said they would call later to inform the decision. If I don’t get this deal it is all on you,” he further blamed her. Shivya felt bad, but it hurt her even more when he labeled as a person who doesn’t who knows nothing about dreams. Plus he kept stressing on the boyfriend topic. Shivya couldn’t take it anymore she almost teared up.  The tears were noticed by Maaran.