Friends?

It’s been an hour since the doctor said she was out of danger. Maaran has been very restless and been  sitting in the same place for the last hour. He turned his attention towards Shivya as soon as he felt her fingers brushing his palm. Shivya slowly tried opening her eyes. The light was directly hitting her that made it even more difficult for her to open. As she slowly opened she saw someone she never expected- Maaran. She saw a worried face , his eyes filled with tears as he saw. Shivya felt touched but at the same time felt a pinch in her heart as she saw those tears from his eyes. These were very new feelings for her. She has been experiencing these weird feeling for a while now, to be more precise when her eyes met Maaran’s eyes the day he injured his hand that conveyed so much that she immediately was willing to do anything to fill those eyes with happiness, yet it was something nice she has felt in her life.  She wasn’t aware of the new feelings.

~~~

As soon as Maaran saw her eyes opened looking at him intensely, he called her “Ma,” as he looked back into her eyes. He held her hand without breaking the eye contact and called her “ma,” again. Shivya blinked her eyes that hinted him to continue and he did as he understood. “I am sorry. I know these three words won’t do justice, but I have no other words to say. I am really sorry. Na appadi pesi irukka koodhatha. Ennaka Rishi apparam vanthu thaan kaatnaan un audition performance. Athuka nu ne audition polattiyum naan appadi pesi irukka koodhatha. I am sorry ma.” Shivya was just listening to his apology. She felt it was genuine. He said all these while looking into her eyes. The way he looked at her did something to her. She felt butterflies in her stomach as she met those loving eyes.

~~~

Maaran was never the person to apologize, though he was at fault and feeling guilty, he would maybe just only apologize. It was his nature  after the tragic experience. He became a cold guy.  But here he was ,reasoning. He wanted her to forgive him. He didn’t want her to perceive him as a ‘cold guy’, what everyone else thinks. He wasn’t even aware of this. Aside these he genuinely wanted to apologize for hurting her feelings. He knew that he was very harsh with his words.

~~~

She knows that she is at fault. She could have been more clear to Maaran about her auditions so that he wouldn’t have atleast got tensed about the project. Shivya tightened the hold on Maaran’s hand. She wanted to talk but her throat felt dry. Maaran saw her struggling to speak and immediately gave her water.

“It’s my fault Maaran’ey , oops sir’ey,” she said making him giggle. “ Naan vantha ongha kitta ye clear’ah  solli irrukannum. Or atleast given the pendrive to you. You kept repeating this was an important project. I should have been more responsible. I accept that.” She paused .“ I am not gonna lie. It just hurt me, when you talked about my dreams, nothing else.” Maaran just stared at her.  His guilt increased. He thought how is she so understanding. He has screamed at many PAs and other employees due to irresponsible behavior and they immediately quit. But here she is, he was the reason behind her being in this hospital bed yet she isn’t blaming him or judging him, instead saying that she is equally at fault and comforting him.“ I’m sorry,” he repeated again. That was all he could say.  “You are forgiven,” Shivya said and wiped his tears that risked falling. That is when Maaran realized that he was almost gonna cry. He was shocked and surprise in the changes in his behavior.

Just then Rishi entered with food for Shivya. “Thangam,” she dragged as she saw her dear brother. Rishi reciprocated and hugged her and asked her about her health. “Hospital food ah,” Shivya pouted. “Ennaka vendam anney.” Maaran nodded his head a no immediately and said “ you have to eat. You need this in your stomach so that you will get your energy back.” Shivya gave her best puppy eyes which melted him but he was concerned about her health. He nodded a big NO.