12. Valentina

I pulled into the Rodríguez's estate

After an emotional morning at the cemetery, I got ready and mentally prepared myself for this conversation.

It was a cooler day today since it rained this morning. I wore a black long sleeve cropped turtleneck with low rise flared jeans.

I park my car and walk to the door and a guard opens up the door for me.

I look at his hand when he touches the door and see a familiar tattoo. "Mrs. Devora," he said and did a small bow.

"Thank you," I mumble and walk inside.

I put my sunglasses up to rest on my head and look around the foyer. I hear noises from the kitchen so I walk there.

I watch with mild amusement as Amir danced, his headphones blasting music as he cooked pancakes.

He turns around while he trying to twerk and screams when he sees me.

I raise a brow. He took off his Beats headphones, "fuck Val! You scared the shit out of me."

"Oops," I mumble with a shrug and sit down on one of the stools.

"Why are you so dry all the time?" He asks.

"Why are you making pancakes then putting a shit ton of powered sugar on them? I'm sure your dentist takes one look at you and see you have a new cavity."

"Are you ever nice to people?"

I shrug, "only to the people I like."

"Besides, that was the nicest way I put it. You don't want to hear what I was originally going to say."

"Hey Val! I didn't know you were coming here!" Aaya said excitedly as she came next to me.

I sat still while she gave me a hug. "Jamila and I are going out for brunch."

"Oh sounds fun." I hum in response.

"Did I tell you about what we're doing for our birthday?" She asks.

"Yes Aaya you told me three times. The first time from your mouth and the two other times from texts."

"Oh," she mumbled. "Well it's-"

"The 21st, yes I know. You won't let me forget it even if I had amnesia."

"Bring who ever you want. It is child friendly so you can bring your daughter if you want."

"Noted," I mumble.

Jamila comes in the kitchen, "oh Valentina, I thought you weren't coming for another twenty minutes!"

I shrugged, "I was off today since my brother came from college. Are you ready?"

She nods, "let me just put on my shoes." She turns and leaves out the kitchen.