21. Valentina

Today is my mother and father's birthday

I sit in the trunk of my car as I watch the sunrise. I finish off my blunt when the sun fully rises and gets undressed. I finish off my bottle of whiskey and grab my surfboard, my bag, and another blunt if I end up needing it.

It was around six in the morning, so no body was on the beach. I put in my waterproof earbuds that Blair made me for my 21st birthday and put on my dads and I's favorite playlist, and take off into the water.

I surf for about two and a half hours before I go back onto the sand.

I sit down on my towel and wring out my hair. I take my earbuds out and light up my blunt. I inhale and think about the last time my dad and I were on this beach.

•FLASHBACK 11 MONTHS AGO•

I laid my head on Dad's shoulder. He kissed the crown of my head and stroked my hair.

"I'm so excited for Christmas this year." I say. My little sister Ivy was supposed to come on the twenty-ninth, but she might come early.

"Imagine if she comes onChristmas," I chuckle, "Mom would be so pissed she has to spend Christmas in the hospital."

I eat a piece of fruit, "I think she'll look like you more than Mom."

He made a face, "imagine being a girl and people say you look like your dad? I would kill myself."

I laugh and he joins me. "Oh come on, with your hazel eyes, beautiful cheekbones, and the perfect eyebrows? It would be an honor to look like you."

He laughs, "oh yeah?"

"Of course. Now the military did take away some of that beauty from fucking up your nose, but you still have a beautiful face."

He smirks, "your mother loves my nose."

It takes me a moment to realize what he meant. I push his shoulder and he laughs. I scrunch up my nose, "god you're disgusting!"

"Please don't ever tell me that again. I need to erase the last thirty seconds from my memory."

He rolled his eyes, "oh come on honey bun, you're twenty-two."

I make a face, "just because i'm an adult doesn't mean I want to speak about sex with my father." He laughs again.

"I was looking at putting a store in New York for my Boutique," I change the subject.

"Half of the online orders come from New York and some others city on the east side. I want your help to start looking for buildings on the east coast," I tell him.

He nods, "we'll go sometime this week."

I smile and take a bite of a strawberry.

He leaned over and kissed my forehead. "I'm proud of you kid."