38. Valentina

I wake up to an empty car

I quickly sit up and Rico and Vegas were on top of the car, watching the sunrise.

I open the car door and get out. I wrap my blanket around me and yawn. "Morning sleeping beauty," Rico said without looking at me.

I get up onto the car and Vegas crawls into my lap. "Morning," I reply.

"You didn't sleep?" I ask and rub Vegas's stomach.

He shook his head no. My brows furrow, "Why not?"

"Someone needed to be up keeping watch," he replied.

"How long was I sleep for?" I ask.

"About six hours," He answered.

"We need to get gas and get Vegas some food," He said and got off the car.

I let out another small yawn. I was twisting and turning all night. Sleeping in a car is not comfortable at all.

"Are you hungry?" He asks me.

I shrug, "Not really. But I could use some coffee to wake me up," I tell him and get off the car.

I get in the car with Vegas and put my seat up.

"How much is gas here?" He asks and pulls out Pesos from his back pocket.

"Where the hell did you get that from?" I ask.

"You're not the only one who knows how to pickpocket." He said with a small smirk.

"Did you steal the entire wallet?" I ask.

He shook his head no. "I only took the cash."

I hum and smile. "Look at us! We're great thieves."
He chuckled and shook his head.

Stealing always came easy to me. Not that it was a good trait to be a liar and a thief, but it's how I survived when Troy and I were on our own.

Why pay for something when you can borrow it? That was always my saying.

We get back on the road and I give Rico the directions to the closest gas station.

He gets out, pays, then pumps the gas. After we were on the way to get some food.

TIME SKIP

I bought some dog food and supplies. I also got Rico and I some food while he used the bathroom. I pay the lady and leave her a tip.

We get back in the car and I put Vegas in the backseat with water and his food. I put hand sanitizer on and start to eat my food.

"Where's your money?" Rico asks and pulls out of the parking space.

"This old lady keeps it safe for me," I tell him and look around to find the street sign.

"We're actually close. Make this left," I tell him.