24. Fredrico

I walk inside the cafe and spot Valentina sitting by herself

I walk inside the cafe and spot Valentina sitting by herself. She was eating a salad while typing on her computer.

I order a coffee and slide into the booth she was in. She looks up and pauses.

After the mission you could say things were a little weird and tense. She basically ghosted everyone for the past week and said she was really busy working on a project for her fashion company.

She talked to Derek, but when I call her it's like her phone isn't ever working. So I got her a new one.

I take the iPhone box out and slide it over to the side of her computer. Her brows furrowed. "It's a phone for you, since yours is broken," I tell her.

"Mine isn't broken."

"Sure as hell seems like it since I can't get through to you," I say.

"I told you, i've been busy doing things," she says and shuts her computer.

"Busy enough to call Derek back, but not me?" I ask.

"It was a thirty second conversation at most. I told him I was going to be busy and relay the message to you."

"Bullshit the conversation was at least three minutes. I was there when it happened. Why have you been avoiding me?"

"I'm not avoiding you. But if you're finished, I do have a meeting in about fifteen minutes so I need to get back to my office," she grabs her purse and puts her laptop in it.

"I checked with your assistant, you don't have a meeting for another two hours," I say.

"You checked with my assistant? Jesus christ," she mumbled. She stands up and throws away her food. "Excuse me, I need to get back to work."

I grab the phone I bought her and stand up. I follow her out, "you know, avoiding me won't work Valentina," I tell her.

She turns around, "if I accept the phone and call you later, will you stop following me?"

I shrug, "depends."

She sighs and readjusted her purse on her shoulder. She holds out her hand and I put the box in her hand.

I hear a loud familiar voice turning the corner. Before I could turn around, Valentina pulls me into a small gap between two buildings.

"Shut up," she whispers and gently drops her purse. We were so close her chest pressed against my chest. I could feel her breathing on my neck.

"What the hell are we going to do about Valentina and Mama?" Amir asks.

"That bitch isn't our mother anymore. She stopped being a mother as soon as she walked out on us," Carlos responded.

"I don't know Los. I feel really bad about what happened. I wanted to help, but I froze up, and-"

"Don't be a pussy," Alejandro said. "She got what she deserved anyways. She's a fucking leech and her family just wanted money off of dad."