|| Chapter 21 ||

sometimes giving up is the strong thing,
   sometimes to run is the brave thing.

~~~~~~x~~~~~~

The next morning.

Aryan's sleep broke as the rays of the sun seeped through the closed curtains. He felt a weight on himself and looked down to see the most adorable scene possible. He took a few minutes adoring the girl that everyone including him has grown to be extremely fond of. Inaaya was sleeping soundly, clinging onto him. Her whole weight was on him. It was as if they fit together like puzzle pieces.

He took a few minutes looking at her.

Inaaya's head was resting on his chest, tresses of her jet black hair falling on her face that Aryan gently tucked behind her ears. He then slowly started to massage her scalp with his free hand. She slept in her gown from last night and therefore her soft porcelain skin was in contact with his. Their legs were entangled beneath the sheets and this position was not helping him at all. 

Aryan looked at her face once again trying to soak in the details, from her closed eyes that looked like two flower petals, to her cute little nose and pouty lips. Unknowingly a small smile etched onto the corner of his lips. She was sensual and cute all at the same time. Suddenly his eyes flickered to the huge bruise on her arm and he traced a gentle finger over it, it has turned purple by now and was pretty prominent on Inaaya's arm.

Something changed inside Aryan. It was as if the monster that Aryan kept locked deep inside his heart around Inaaya broke free. Just the thought of someone hurting her made him want to slaughter the whole damn world.

'Ting'

His phone's notification brought him back from his thoughts. 

He somehow reached for his phone on the bedside table to check who it was. Inaaya's hold was dead strong as if he would disappear if she let go. Aryan checked the time and to say he was shocked was an understatement. 

The clock showed 10:07 A.M. Aryan Khan never oversleeps. In fact, he barely sleeps.

But, now here he was, with this girl who waltzed into his life not even a month ago, and for the first time in so many years, he slept so peacefully. There were no nightmares, no worries, nothing. 

Aryan shrugged these thoughts and looked at his phone to see he got a text from his right-hand man, Robert.

Robert - Good morning, Boss. We've gathered the list of all the people who attended the ball yesterday. Well, a young man named Daniel Wilmer was there as well.  And interestingly he and Ms. Malik attended the same University as undergrads. The NYU. 

Aryan - Good morning. Thank you for the information. You know what to do, get to work. 

Robert - Yes, Boss. 

With that Aryan tossed his phone aside only to see Inaaya squirm a little. She slowly opened her eyes and looked at him with her innocent doe eyes. Slowly realizing the position that they were in, she suddenly widened her eyes and sat up, trying to keep a distance between herself and Aryan. 

Aryan too, got a little disoriented but there was also a pang of disappointment that pricked him with Inaaya no longer in his arms. He cleared his throat and composed himself as Inaaya looked with her cheeks tinted bright red. Aryan tried to say something but Inaaya beat him to it.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Khan." Inaaya spoke.

Her voice was so timid and so low, for a second Aryan thought he imagine hearing her speak.

"Inaaya, why are you apologising? You did nothing wrong. In fact, I should be the one apologizing for not being there last night when you needed me at the ball and also for putting you in a position like this now. I spent the night here to look after you as Nani requested. You looked as if you were having a nightmare so I was trying to comfort you. I don't remember when I fell asleep." 

Aryan went on explaining to her trying to ease out the discomfort that she was probably feeling. Inaaya nodded her head and was still looking down.

 "Thank you Mr. Khan." Inaaya wishpered.

"What happened to you Inaaya? What scared you so much and where did you get that bruise from?" Aryan questioned unable to hold in the curiosity he felt inside for so long.

Inaaya's head snapped up at this question as she looked at Aryan as if she has seen a ghost. She waited a few seconds before replying.

 "It was n-nothing. I uh- I bumped into a door while getting out of the restroom." Inaaya replied in a defensive tone.

She really thought Aryan Khan bought her lie!

" Interesting. Then what about you passing out in my arms out of fear? How do you explain that?" Aryan pressed further knowing perfectly well that Inaaya was lying. 

"I – I had an anxiety attack. It was such a huge gala with so many notable personalities. I was scared I would mess things up." Inaaya replied fumbling a bit.

The way she was lying to him on his face angered Aryan. Why would she lie to him? Why would she try to protect someone, whoever it was, be it that Daniel Wilmer that Robert spoke about or someone else. Why would she try to hide the truth from him?

If there is one thing that Aryan Khan despises the most is lying, no matter what the reason is. And here Inaaya was lying right to his face without even a second thought. Doesn't she understand? One word from her and he will rip that man's heart out who dared to touch her.

Aryan looked at Inaaya's bruised arm one more time before nodding his head, trying his best to control the anger that was bubbling inside of him.

"Very well then Ms. Malik. As you say." Aryan spoke. 

His voice came out colder than he expected. 

"Freshen up a bit and I will ask someone to send you breakfast in your room. You have the day off." And with that Aryan got down from the bed grabbing his phone and ipad and leaving the room without even sparing Inaaya a second glance.

Aryan was mostly disappointed and hurt, that she could not bring herself to tell him the truth. That maybe she did not trust him.

Time to go and hibernate again!

Bye. He-he!