|| Chapter 22 ||

too young to know it gets better.

~~~~~~x~~~~~~

|| Inaaya ||

I did not know what to think about what happened last night. Watching Daniel there, present at the gala brought back all the horrors from my past. I have spent nights filled with nightmares. Shouting a war of words in my sleep.

And just when I thought I am having a fresh start, he had to show up like that. I don't know what would have happened yesterday if Aryan wasn't there. 

 Aryan.

That name kindles something in my heart that I cannot really pinpoint. Today, in the morning, when I saw him there holding me in his arms, I felt safe. It was as if nothing in this cruel world could ever hurt me anymore. But then, I was scared. Scared to let anyone in my life ever again, and on top of that, he is my boss. I am nothing but his secretary. It felt wrong yet for a split second my heart told me to jump back into his arms like I did last night.

When I escaped from Daniel's grasp, I remember the only person in my head was Aryan. 

For some weird reason, I knew he would be the only one who could save me. I feel guilty for not telling him anything about Daniel when he asked me. 

But, how can I though?

Even the thought of what happened yesterday makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry. It's evening now, I have spent the whole day at home either crying or sleeping. This morning when Aryan left, Nani came in with my breakfast along with Suhana. Both of them were so worried about me, it made me feel even more guilty. Nani told me that she informed, my parents and I had to call them and tell them the same story, that I had an anxiety attack because of so many people at the gala.

I knew it was a stupid excuse but luckily everyone bought it. Well everyone except for Aryan I think. 

The way he reacted after listening to me, I have a feeling that he did not buy my lie at all. But I'm glad he didn't press for more answers because I don't know if I'm ready to talk about any of it yet. 

After that I face-timed my parents and my Dadi, Suhana offered to take me out shopping in order to distract me and cheer me up which I politely declined. I do not know what I did to deserve such loving people. They treat me as if I'm their family and I could not be more grateful. But I needed some time alone to align my thoughts properly.

After they left, I stayed in my room for the rest of the day and even had lunch in my room. The weather was quite gloomy and frowzy that day.

I feel exhausted, not only physically but mentally. Amidst everything, the dark and scary thought of Daniel is making my skin crawl with fear. Never in my life have I feared someone as much as I fear Daniel. Strange how the man I once adored so much has left me scarred for life.

The bond, companionship, and love that we shared had left me in maim.

I was lying down in my bed with all these thoughts swirling in my head, and I felt a tear trickle down my face. I promised that I won't allow myself to feel this weak ever in my life, and yet here I am stuck inside my room petrified to even think about that monster I once called my boyfriend. 

They say all's well that ends well, but I'm in a new hell every time. That he double-crossed my mind.

Suddenly I heard a knock on my door.