Been a While

|Chapter 64|Asen|

"Stop crying you idiot, I said I'd teach Joshie a lesson even if you try and stop me," Mikey lightly punched me while in tears himself.

We were sitting on the couch in the living room. The moment we walked in I couldn't hold it in anymore and started sobbing. I was overwhelmed by so many things that it became too hard to swallow them down.

"I'm just thinking about the past, don't worry, these tears aren't about Joshie, thanks Mikey, for everything," I wiped away my tears.

"Don't thank me yet, thank me after I-"

"No, I don't want you to hurt anyone on my behalf, you know I don't like hurting people unless they really pissed me off, Joshie didn't piss me off, he just hurt me, it's different," I explained making sure he knew how serious I was being.

He sighed and wiped his own tears away, "Fine, but if you ever need me to teach someone a lesson, I'm here."

"Thanks, though I think I'd be able to fight my own battles if we are talking about a fight shorty," I teased him.

"Oh, really?" he rose an eyebrow with a grin taking over his face.

"Yeah," I laughed and so did he.

I really am glad to have the life I have right now and I'm happy to be surrounded by people who love me. Even if the things on the left are falling apart, I have the other side to hold me upright. I'll be okay, it'll be okay.

•••

|Melissa|

I stood outside the house working up the courage to knock.

What do I even say? How do I know his parents will even let me in? How am I even sure he'll want to see my face?

The door suddenly opened revealing Mikey. He was wearing a bizarre outfit, it looked like a dancer's costume.

"Red? You sure chose the worst day to come visit, I mean look at me," he joked.

"Right."

"So what are you doing here? It's strange of you to show up, even when I never gave you my address," he gave me a suspicious look.

"Well, I just happened to find out through a friend. Anyway, I'm here to talk to Asen, it's important," I explained.

"Well, he's not taking any guests at the time. Especially after yest-I mean, he's just not feeling well," he wasn't telling me the truth.

"Cut the crap, I know what's going on, I want to help, please. I just need to talk to him," I gave him a hopeful look that he'll maybe let me come in.

He thought about it for a second then let out an annoyed sigh, "Fine, but you owe me big time."

"Okay," I tried walking into the house but he stopped me.

"There's no way he'll let you in if you knock, but worry not, I have an idea."

•••

|Asen|

I was in my room sitting on the floor just lost in thought. I was thinking about many things, things that mattered and things that didn't. I was in this sort of limbo. It was like I let all my sadness out for Joshie and now I just felt empty. I felt empty but I could finally breathe which was odd.

As I was doing all of this a disruption came.

Melissa was climbing in through my window.

I scrambled to my feet, "Wha-"

"Before you say anything just hear me out," she stood in front of me.

Suddenly the churning in my stomach returned. I felt anger rise.

"Why should I listen to you when you literally invaded my space, can't you see I'm emotional right now?" I pointed at my face then around my messy room.

"I am well aware, I mean seriously you've always worn your heart on your sleeve," she rolled her eyes.

I let out a sigh. Angry feelings were too much to deal with right now. "Go on then, what did you have to tell me so badly that you climbed in through my fucking window instead of knocking at my door like a normal person?"

"I-Climbing through your window was your brother's idea! Anyway, I just wanted to see if you were fine."

"As weird as that is, I'm fine, be on your way now," I opened the door for her to leave.

"That's not all you idiot!"

"Hey-"

"Look," she cut me off, "I'm not entirely sure what happened between you and Joshie but you guys need to patch it up. If you don't at least try, then trust me when I say that you will regret it."

"How would you know? Joshie doesn't want to patch anything up either way. He hates my guts or something," I crossed my arms and sulked.

"I know because I've been there," she looked into my eyes and for the first time in a long time, I could tell she was being sincere.

"Wha-What are you trying to say? If you're here to talk about stupid things then jus-"

"It's not stupid!" she cut me off again. "It's not stupid. If I'm being honest, I also came here not only to lecture you but to apologize for everything."

I gave her a dirty look, "Why? What's the point?"

"I heard about what happened back then. I didn't mean to eavesdrop on the conversation Mikey was having with Joshie, but I did. Is that why you were gone? Did I really mess things up so bad that you had no choice but to lock yourself up in your room back then?" I could see tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

I remained silent.

Why'd she have to go and bring that up? Just when I was finally feeling a little bit better.

"I never wanted any of that to happen but I had stuff going on at home and then kids at school were starting to say things-I just didn't know what to do so I made a rash decision and ruined your life. That was so stupid of me," she was a crying mess and I was surprised. "The moment I realized those kids that were my so-called friends were hurting you was the moment I realized I didn't deserve to be your friend."

"...I don't know what to say...I can see how genuine you are so I guess I forgive you, I mean we were kids it's not like you had control over it. Hell, you guys weren't the only reason I left. For me to break like that was a long time coming," I admitted. I looked at her and she was still crying.

Oh, what the heck.

I hugged her, "I said I forgive you, okay? So stop being so hard on yourself. We are all bad friends at some point, I mean look at me, I'm a bad friend to my friend Kaden and maybe Joshie is being a bad friend to me and I to him. We're human, I guess it's in our nature to at some point make these mistakes. Especially when we all are fighting a battle inside that no one knows about. Thanks for coming over and talking things through with me. I would have never been able to face this and let it go alone. Let's start fresh," I pulled away and held my hand out for a shake.

She wiped away her tears and took my hand, "Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Okay, I promise things will be different this time," she took my hand in hers and shook it.

"So do I."

We stood there in comfortable silence.

"Wait, did you skip school?" I snapped out of it.

"...this was important, but I should probably head to school now," she cleared her throat.

"Yeah that's probably for the best, they say when you skip once you'll skip again."

"No one says that," she gave me an odd look.

"Well, they fucking should because it happened to me," we both shared a laugh.

It kind of feels like back then without all the bad parts. Here is to a new beginning. At least now I know she's there for me.