How Many Years?

|Chapter 24|Joshie|

We finally made it to the dance studio and walked in.

It still looked the same, very spacious and welcoming. When you enter, you can see that the studio is split into three sections. In front is a room where the playing area is for kids that come with their parents, which is where I used to go when I used to come here with my mom. On the left, there was a room that had no door but had a door-shaped entrance probably to make moving around the studio a lot easier. Beside that room the door to the women's changing room was there and a unisex changing room beside that one which was new seeing as it wasn't there when I was little. On the right, much like the left, there was a similar appearance, a room with no door, but a door-shaped entrance. Beside that room was the men's changing room and a single bathroom for all genders.

The room on the left was being occupied by Mrs. Acker, she was working with young people while the room on the right was being used by a boy around our age probably younger, he was working with old people. Mr. Acker was watching over the kids in the play area along with the other workers. Everything seemed to be just like it used to, it was nostalgic.

"Brings back memories doesn't it?" Asen broke the silence that had snuck in while I had been observing the studio.

I glanced over at him, he was staring at the play area. The play area was the place where we met, he used to be so troublesome, he still is.

"How many years has it been?" He mumbled mostly to himself.

I stayed silent, I mean I'm always silent, but when I say silent I mean I didn't type up a response, it didn't seem necessary since he was just thinking out loud.

"I thought I heard a familiar voice, finally decided to help us out, bro?" The boy that was working with the old people suddenly appeared in front of us. He turned to look at me, his face broke into a grin, "Oh, hey Joshie! Long time no see! How ha—"

"Mikey, can you help your father clean up the juice one of the kids spilled in the play area? He needs some paper towels," Mrs. Acker yelled from the other room cutting the boy now known as Mikey off.

"Well, I gotta go, but," he turned to Asen, "while I'm gone how about you catch him up on everything, he seems confused," Mikey gave Asen a pat on the shoulder before running to get some paper towels from the bathroom.

I took out my phone and typed some very confused questions for Asen to answer.

[Me]:

Who was that? He's your brother right? Since when did your parents have another kid? Is Macy here too?

He read it right away.

"Well, you see, I guess you could say Macy is here, it's just that Macy isn't Macy anymore, it's Mikey," he tried explaining.

I made an understanding facial expression.

I missed a lot while I was gone.

"Yeah, so that's why Mikey was acting familiar towards you," he shrugged.

I nodded.

Mikey came back, "So did Ace explain to you who I am?"

I nodded my head.

"Good, good, so how have you been?" He asked he hadn't realized that I haven't been talking this whole time.

Shit, what do I do?!

"He's really shy Mikey, he prefers to communicate through phone or paper," Asen explained.

"Oh, my bad, I didn't realize, either way, I don't think there is time for chit chat, Mom needs someone to teach the old people and you two are perfect for it!" He mischievously grinned.

"Two? What do you mean us two?" Asen asked exactly what I was wondering.

"Yeah, today you'll be teaching them how to do the Waltz since it's quick and easy for the old people to learn."

The Waltz?

"Huh?! Wait, get over here," Asen dragged Mikey away.

|Asen|

"Mikey, you and I both know the Waltz requires us to get close and hold on to each other!" I crossed my arms knowing damn well this was not the real lesson plan.

"Oh, stop acting like you hate the idea, you totally want to hold him close to you," he rolled his eyes snickering.

My face boiled, "No I don't, he's just my friend!"

"You keep saying that, but the more you say it, the more it sounds like a lie," he teased.

"Mikey!" I hit him.

"Ouch! I'm just trying to say the truth," he frowned.

"I don't have any ulterior motives, I mean he's great and all, but I don't want to take advantage of our friendship," I failed to explain that Joshie and I are strictly friends so it ended up sounding like I'm one-sidedly in love with him. "Wa—"

"Ah-ha! I knew you liked him!" Mikey held a shocked expression.

My face filled with the same red color from earlier. "No! I said it wrong! I don't like him like that, I just—"

"Mikey! Why—" Mom cut me off as she walked out of the room she was working in only to stop when she noticed Joshie. "Oh, hello there Joshie, it's nice seeing you here again!"

"Oh god..." I walked back over to Joshie knowing Mom was going to probably say embarrassing things or make me look bad.

"Asen, you didn't tell me you were going to bring Joshie here," she looked over at me.

"Well, I wasn't going to, but he forced me to come and help," I admitted.

"Then if that's the case, thanks Joshie, Asen is going through a rebellious phase," she shook her head and I could see Joshie raise an eyebrow at me.

I blushed.

"No, I'm not! Mom, aren't there people waiting for you to teach them how to dance?" I reminded her about her job.

"Oh! You're right, well then, Mikey told me you will be teaching the old people how to do the Waltz, it's great that you came Joshie, you can help Asen out," she turned her attention to Mikey, "Meanwhile I need you to help me out with my group."

"Alright, also here you go," Mikey handed me a hairpin while Mom left.

I gave him a confused look.

He leaned in to whisper in my ear, "Get Joshie's hair out of his face unless you want him to trip and fall, I'm giving this to you and not him so that you can be the one who puts it on him, I'm such a great wingman aren't I?"

I looked at him with an expression that just screamed 'why?!' since I clearly explained to him that I didn't see Joshie like that.

He just gave me a look saying 'you can't fool me, stupid' in return.

After that, he left while I pocketed the hairpin and Joshie sent me a text.

[Joshiebeans]:

I don't really have to dance, right? You can do it on your own, right?

"Oh, I don't think so Joshie, we are both working together, the Waltz is an easy dance so let's go," I grabbed his hand and dragged him into the other room with the old people.

Not only do I have to dance with him, but now I also have to give him the hairpin. I hope I don't make a fool out of myself.