007 | heart been stroked

somebody has to change. that's all.

JULY THIRTIETHTWO THOUSAND AND TEN

JULY THIRTIETH
TWO THOUSAND AND TEN

11:28 in the morning

BLURS OF RED AND WHITE, sirens echoing throughout the panic, worries and horror seeping into the faces of many. Tobio and Sora stood side by side, eyes enlarged. The younger boy was in the taller one's arms, held close to his chest, away from the chaos.

Paramedics rushed into the gymnasium, necessary mechanical instruments in hand.

On a stretcher was Kazuyo Kageyama.

Pale skin, scrunched face.

An oxygen mask over his mouth, hands all over his shuddering body, sweeping him right into the white and red ambulance and taking off to the nearest hospital in Miyagi.

When Kazuyo had a horrible headache the night before, none of them thought anything different. It's the stress of work. When he took longer to put on his clothes, none of them batted an eye. He must've slept bad last night. When he massaged his arm because it suddenly felt numb, none of them noticed. He didn't say a word, didn't want to worry them.

He should have.

For he had just had a stroke.

"Come on, kids," called Amari Higasa, gently placing her hands on their shoulders.

She was one of the people Kazuyo was mentoring in volleyball, an elderly lady who wished to seek the thrill of spiking a ball to the ground and scoring a point for her team.

"Is he going to be okay?" Tobio whispered, fright coiling around his veins. He stepped closer into Sora's rigid hold, burying himself in his warm, constant, protective embrace.

Never one to lie, Amari said, "Hopefully."

That did nothing to reassure them.

Whisked away into a car, Tobio and Sora sat in the backseat, nervous, scared. When their grandfather had collapsed onto the ground, everyone froze for a moment. Kazuyo Kageyama was famous for his lame pranks why did this have to be different?

He never responded to their calls, and the paramedics were called instantly. The people within the volleyball group knew how to handle these cases, what with old age and all.

Sora never let Tobio go. He kept him in his embrace, in his arms. Rightfully so.

He kept him safe.

But who held him?

Arriving at the hospital, Miwa was already there, having gotten a call and dashing off from the cafe she was at with friends. Ticket or no ticket, Miwa didn't care. The moment she got into her car, her foot slammed down onto the pedal, and she was racing to the hospital with the universe on her side.