098 | single father for the win

short but sweet

JANUARY THIRD,TWO THOUSAND AND NINETEEN

JANUARY THIRD,
TWO THOUSAND AND NINETEEN

10:29 in the morning

SO MUCH CAN CHANGE in just a year. Sora had known that for a while now. His parents raised him to be a realist, but at his core, he had always been a dreamer. The child that sat inside of him, watching the world change from behind his eyes, would gleam and awe every time something new happened. The way he used to look at things when he was young, before reality came knocking on his front door, was one that people like his friends, teachers and family could not understand. Hope would shine in his eyes, and a burning desire to flock like the birds in the sky churned in his stomach.

Sora used to love the world. He thought it was beautiful, magical and full of mystery.

But life had a way of fucking people in the ass.

Sora grew up, and that hope vanished. He learned that as beautiful as the world was, it was also merciless. He had his soulmates, and then he didn't. He had his wife, and then he didn't. He had his daughter, and as one could guess, he didn't. Most importantly, Sora thought he had himself, but it turned out he didn't.

Still, Mikayo had taught him to appreciate the way the world worked. To appreciate its transformation, its constant ebb and flow.

And he was trying.

Because Sora realised, even in his struggles, in his grief and pain, the sun was still hot. The sky was still blue. People got over things, and the days kept on adding onto each other.

"You brought your child to work?" His assistant questioned, staring at the baby on the play mat in his boss' office. It was hard to believe this was the same man who was constantly on his phone arguing with his clients or going home at the latest opportunity. Sora's face had an odd gentleness about it that was rare these days.

Rin flopped onto his back, raising the different coloured blocks to his face and mouthing on the round edges. Funai stared at the child with mild disgust on his face, though he was quick to hide his expression from Sora's astute gaze.

"Yup," his boss answered, leaning back in his chair, his arms positioned behind his head. "My parents are out of town for a week or so."

"Don't you have anyone else to look after him?"

"I do, but I didn't want to disturb them."

Funai turned his attention to Sora and arched a brow. "Did you try asking?"

"Not really," Sora said, shaking his head. He had a lax smile, as if having a child in the office didn't disrupt the flow of work. They were a distraction, and Funai had a sneaky suspicion that today's workload would not be completed. It would pile on, as would his stress levels.