099 | our baby turns one today

you and i are like two mountains

JANUARY TWELFTH,TWO THOUSAND AND NINETEEN

JANUARY TWELFTH,
TWO THOUSAND AND NINETEEN

11:13 in the morning

"WHERE'S my grandson?" The sound of Sora's mother's voice rang in his house. Her older frame came into view as she entered the living room: a small woman, dressed elegantly yet in an old school dress and cardigan from her days working. There was a look of excitement on her face, and her eyes were filled with a familiar warmth that made Sora smile. Rin noticed her presence, a grin breaking out across his face.

"Obaaa~" Rin called, waddling over to her and clapping his hands enthusiastically.

Kimiko Suzuki dropped her handbag to the floor and crouched to her grandson's level. She squished his cheeks together and kissed either side. "We brought you the cutest outfit!" she told him as she hooked her arm around his small frame and lifted him up. Sora watched with hidden surprise, noting the strength in her grip.

Kimiko, whose maternal instincts seemingly gave her telepathic abilities, shot him a narrow look.

"I know what you're thinking," she chided, clicking her tongue. "Stop it."

Sora smiled innocently from where he stood behind his kitchen counter, cradling a mug in his hand. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Tsubasa Suzuki laughed as he entered the room, massive gift bags hanging off each of his arms. He had an uncharacteristically large smile on his face. His greying hair, which once rivalled Sora's in length, was now much shorter, reaching just below his ears. A clean face highlighted his round features and added to his natural grandfatherly air; he looked every bit like the ageing patriarch he truly was.

He set down the gifts he had carried inside, stacking them neatly against the wall. In his hands, he held a bouquet of fresh flowers — the most expensive ones he could find: white, lavender, blue and in the middle, some bright yellow roses and daffodils.

"What on earth did you guys bring?" Sora questioned as he walked towards them, raising the mug to his lips and taking a sip of his oolong tea. Kimiko beamed at him and opened her mouth as if to answer, but she was interrupted by her husband's booming laugh.

"Decorations! And gifts, of course!"

"That's too much, Otou-san," Sora protested, putting his mug on the table. "You've brought a whole store with you."

"Nonsense," said Kimiko, nudging Rin higher on her hip and lightly bouncing him up and down. Rin laughed at the action and began to swing his legs around happily. Tsubasa took his place by Sora's side and put his arm around him, gently patting him on the head, though the height difference between them was astronomical and Tsubasa had to stretch (and I say this lightly) to reach the top of his son's tall figure.