⤷ the voicemail

You have reached Sora Suzuki

Hello. I'm sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message and I'll get
back to you as soon as I can.

A sharp, shaky inhale was first heard. Then, came an all too familiar voice.

"Hey, it's me. Tobio. I probably shouldn't be doing this– we promised to give you space, but...it's been two years, Sora. How are you? How are you feeling? Are you- do you feel better now?" His voice was soft, hesitant, the words trembling as they escaped his lips. "There are so many questions I want to ask. Each day passes, and I can't help but–" He paused. "I miss you. We all miss you. I know we said you could take all the time you need- and I'm not trying to say you can't- it's just...I was wondering, well, I guess I was hoping if we could see each other? We could go out for coffee if you're free? Whenever you want."

His words stammered over one another, as if his heart was racing in his chest, and the pulse was all he could hear in his ears.

"We don't have to, though. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. I just wanted... to put it out there. Yeah. Just that. Um, call me back. Or text me. Or don't. That's up to you." His tone slowed, nervous, and the muffled sound of nails clicking against teeth shuffled through the speaker. "I really miss you, Sora, but I don't want to pressure you into doing anything. I hope you're okay."

A long pause stretched over the message.

"Yeah, um. I'll see you sooner or later, I guess. I'm not sure how to end this. Uh—"

The voicemail ended.