090 | too bad fate's a bitch

we're finally at this chapter.
i've had this planned for a year now

JANUARY TWELFTH,TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHTEEN

JANUARY TWELFTH,
TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHTEEN

16:49 in the afternoon

"HE'S BEAUTIFUL." The beat of a heart rate monitor sat in the background, followed by the frazzled shuffles of nurses and doctors. Sora and Mikayo were in the labour room, and they were looking at their first child with pure adoration in their reddened eyes.

"He looks just like you," Mikayo whispered, reaching up to caress his cheek with her finger. It was soft and round, covered in blood since he literally just came out of her. Still, beyond all the shit he was immersed in, their son was gorgeous. His eyes fluttered open in a cute manner, and they could see he had taken after Sora in more than just one way— their eyes were the same. Sharp, cerulean, like the sea was calling to them once again.

Sora couldn't help the tears slipping down his cheeks, his face aching at the smile he wore.

"He does," he breathed, watching Mikayo hold the wailing baby in her arms.

Their first baby was here, right in front of them, right in their arms. Mikayo and Sora shared a loving gaze, their excitement evident. They both knew it would be an arduous process to raise their children, but they were going to do it together. Nothing could make them happier. This moment, right here, was everything they had been dreaming about for months. They were finally parents.

The enormity of their love blinded them. For a second, all was right in the world.

Mikayo's eyes fell to her son. He was coddled against her skin; his tiny hand closed in a fist. He was crying, screeching, but he sounded sweeter than anything. Against her chest, he was warm, he was soft. He was hers.

"My beautiful boy," she whispered tenderly. "You don't know how long I've been waiting for you." She ran two fingers over his head, feeling the thin strands of hair make way for her touch. "You're going to be such a handsome man when you grow up. Mommy's gonna make sure you grow into your potential. I'll cherish you like no other."

"Can I hold him?" Sora voiced, his hands trembling and outstretched. Mikayo smiled. She couldn't believe her luck. She noticed from the tremors running along his arms to the tears threatening to spill that Sora had found someone else to love wholeheartedly. The fact made her heart soar. Sora was going to be an amazing dad. He was waiting patiently for his turn, watching as she held their son close to her, anticipating the way he would feel in his arms. Their son. The words felt like honey on her tongue, and she let out a breath that was halfway between a sob and a laugh.

"Of course," she said, her voice shaky. Mikayo gently handed their son to Sora, who held him carefully. His voice cracked as he cooed at the baby. Mikayo watched them affectionately. Just one more, she thought. One more, and they'd be a family at last.