097.05 | a star reborn

twenty chapters later and
they're finally happy— somewhat, anyway

twenty chapters later and they're finally happy— somewhat, anyway

DECEMBER TWENTY FOURTH,
TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHTEEN

19:42 at night

THE MEMORY SORA CARRIED in his pocket felt weightless as he stepped into his old apartment, folding Rin's stroller and leaning it on the side of the wall. It smelt the same as when he left years ago: a mixture of fresh flowers, coffee grounds and warm fabric softener. A homey comfort that he didn't know he missed. His eyes swept around the room, taking everything in. The familiar kitchen appliances, the wooden cabinets painted mint green, the large brown table and chairs they put together when they first moved in.

His soulmates were lounging around, each in different corners of the apartment. They looked like they belonged, and Sora felt like the extra puzzle piece that was just found.

He wondered where his slot was.

"Don't be a stranger," Iwaizumi said, a small smile on his face. He was standing behind the stove, ever so dutifully filling his soulmates' stomachs with the best food he could cook up.

Sora knew, his slot was here, somewhere. He just needed to find it.

"It smells good in here," he mused as he walked towards the open-spaced kitchen.

"We're making our own fried chicken!" Oikawa exclaimed.

Sora arched a brow. "Was KFC all sold out?"

"I dunno." Oikawa shrugged.

"Then why not order instead?" Sora looked at the messy kitchen island, seeing flour and whatnot sprinkled everywhere. It was a mess. "Seems like it'd be less of a hassle."

"Tooru threw a tantrum 'cause he doesn't wanna eat from there," Kunimi informed.

"Why not?"

"Gojo Satoru and Getou Suguru broke up there." Oikawa had a grave look on his face. "I can't betray them like that."

"Gojo and Getou?" Sora glanced at the others incredulously. They looked away in defeat. "The fictional characters from that new manga? You're not having KFC because of that?"

Iwaizumi rolled his eyes and motioned to the chicken that was currently frying in the pan. He clipped his tongs together. "I have to slave away just because of that stupid reason."

"Hey, it's not stupid!" Oikawa squawked. "It's emotional trauma!"

"You give us emotional trauma," Iwaizumi snapped.

"That's not true!" Oikawa whipped his head to his younger soulmates, lips pulled back in a scowl. "Tell Iwa-chan it's not true!"

Kageyama turned back to the show he was watching while Kindaichi and Kunimi busied themselves with Rin. Oikawa gaped.