070 | graduation is a time for farewells

he would either find a way or make a way

MARCH EIGHTEENTH,TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN

MARCH EIGHTEENTH,
TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN

12:30 in the afternoon

THE MORNING SUN was shining high above Japan, illumining the streets of Miyagi and casting warm hues on all who roamed around. In particular, Karasuno High was emitting joy and excitement. It was the third year's graduation day, and everyone had come. Family and friends sat in the large gymnasium, watching as names were called and diplomas were handed to the students.

"Suzuki Sora!" the vice principal called.

Cheers resounded throughout the room, claps and whistles accompanying them. Sora smiled as he walked across the stage, spotting his soulmate before anyone else. Kageyama wore a proud smile on his face. Even from this distance, he could see how happy Kageyama looked, and for Sora, that happiness was more than enough. He took his diploma, smiled for the camera, and walked off stage. The ceremony passed in a blur after that. Sora was high on adrenaline, grinning.

He embraced his swimming team and congratulated them on graduating. They did the same, and he also thanked them for sticking by his side this year— for swimming with him even though they had no formal races. He moved on to his classmates, high-fiving them, patting them on their backs, sharing their accumulated memories.

"Sora, hey!" The swimmer turned his head. His eyes lit up. A familiar friend stepped into his view, waving like a kid in a candy store.

"Yuuji," he greeted.

Their arms fell upon each other. Held together were their hearts, joined by memories and love. Sora had grown from the kid who was scared of getting left behind to someone who was able to make friends with everyone in school. The fear of abandonment did not leave; it lingered in the back, hidden very well. Terushima grinned. They both stood tall, shoulders back, as if they were trying to impress the rest of the world.

"Congrats, man," Terushima said.

"Thanks." They pulled away— their touches lingered, reminiscing the past. They accepted it and decided to lay rest on their secrets. Yamaguchi was aware of his soulmate's relationship with Sora, as was Tobio and the rest of the gang. "What're you doing here?"

"Our school ended a few days ago," his ex-lover answered. His tongue piercing glinted under the gymnasium's lights— Sora joked how Terushima was copying his style; he had, after all, gotten it first. "Thought I'd pop by. You only graduate once, you know?"

"Twice if you count uni."

"Thank god I don't have to go through that yet." Terushima feigned a breath of relief.

Tobio watched them interact from the sidelines. He was with his teammates, congratulating their third-year members. He saw how relaxed Sora looked, tension dissipated, eyes alight with youth and mirth.