Airplane Anxiety (Tom)

-
warnings: panic attack, plane anxiety, fear of heights
summary: Y/N has a strong fear of heights. They have to ride with Tom on an airplane to a convention and Tom doesn't know about their anxiety. When the plane takes off, Y/N finds themself having the worst panic attack of their life and Tom comforts them.

-

    "Flight 384 will now begin boarding. Please make your way to gate 7 for takeoff."

My heart began to race, my anxiety setting in. I have an extreme fear of heights, and flying in an airplane for almost 12 hours certainly wouldn't help. The good thing is that I won't have to face my biggest fear alone— my best friend Tom would be joining me. We have to fly to Canada from the UK for our convention.

"Y/N?" Tom said, snapping his fingers in my face. I quickly faked a smile and chuckled. "Sorry, I zoned out."

Tom grinned, his signature "ehehehe" escaping his lips. "We're boarding now, we should go before we miss our flight." He said, grabbing his suitcase. I took a deep breath and grabbed my own, walking by his side to the gate.

After we had gotten onto the plane, we sat down in our shared pod and buckled up. Thankfully Tom had put the privacy divider up. I didn't want anyone to see my embarrassing reaction to the turbulence. The plane began to slowly move down the run way, and would take off any minute now. I felt my anxiety increase rapidly, I had tuned everything out. Every noise I heard was muffled— it sounded like a bucket had been placed over my head.

"Darling? Are you alright?" Tom asked, a worried expression on his face. I hadn't realized how hard I was gripping the seat, or that my hand had grasped his. I looked over at him and quickly removed my hand from his. "Sorry I-" The plane suddenly took off, the turbulence shaking the frame of the airplane. I shut my eyes tightly and felt my panic attack set in. A gasp left my mouth and I suddenly felt lightheaded and nauseous.

Tom realized quickly what was happening and lifted the arm rest separating our seats, lacing our fingers together and letting my head rest on his shoulder. My other arm wrapped around the one he used to hold my hand, and I buried my face into the side of his shoulder.

His thumb caressed the back of my hand gently and he kissed the top of my head, whispering reassuring words as I started to relax against him. "You're okay, you're safe darling. I won't let anything happen to you." He whispered.

The plane was now in the air and I felt myself calm down.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, feeling embarrassed about my attack. Tom smiled softly down at me and moved his arm to wrap around me, letting me cuddle up to his side. "Don't apologize love. Everyone has fears."

I smiled up at him and he rubbed my shoulder soothingly. "Thank you Tom."

He grinned and unbuckled my seatbelt, holding me as close as possible and kissing my forehead. My cheeks flamed at the sudden gesture, making him chuckle.

"You're adorable when you blush." He cooed, squeezing my shoulder and nuzzling my nose with his. I blushed even darker, making him grin widely. "Shush your mouth.." I mumbled, hiding my face in his neck.

Tom laughed, unbuckling his own seatbelt and draping a blanket over us. One of the perks of being the Tom Hiddleston's best friend was all of the physical affection that came with it. He's a very very affectionate person, and I'm definitely not complaining. I had developed strong feelings for him almost a year ago and I hope he feels the same. If he doesn't I'll at least have him as a friend, and that would be better than not having him in my life at all.

His previous girlfriend Taylor had broken up with him for being too affectionate and being too public with her. If it were me, I'd love every second of it. Who wouldn't?

Rumors were already circulating the internet of us dating after a fan had snapped a photo of Tom hugging me from behind at the park. He had hugged me because it was freezing outside, and my coat was thin.

I smiled at the memory. I wish the rumors were true.

Tom looked down at you and watched as you smiled to yourself with your eyes closed. He felt himself fall even deeper in love with you, but he was too afraid that you didn't feel the same. After Taylor had left him, you were there for him through the process of healing. You comforted him, you took care of him, you did everything. He realized how hard he had fallen for you, and wanted you to be his, but he was terrified of losing you all together— so he kept his feelings hidden.

My eyes drooped sleepily, Tom's warmth and the blanket's were making me realize just how exhausted I was.

"Are you asleep Y/N?" Tom whispered. Feeling too tired to answer, I remained silent with my eyes closed. He chuckled to himself and got comfortable, lowering the seat all the way back and shifting you to lay on his chest. He kissed your nose gently, then your forehead, and lastly both of your cheeks before whispering, "I love you."

My heart flipped at his words and soft kisses. Tom felt the same way I did? He loved me? I waited a few seconds and then whispered back.

"I love you too."

Tom's eyes widened. I giggled softly, the sound muffled by his shirt. He hooked my chin with his index finger, tilting my head up to look at him.

"I mean it darling. I love you." He said softly, his thumb caressing my jaw. I smiled up at him, causing him to smile back. "I mean it too Thomas."

His smile widened into a grin, "May I kiss you?" He whispered. I nodded, sitting up and straddling his lap. I leaned down and pressed my lips against him in a loving kiss. Tom kissed back without hesitation, his hands trailing up and down my sides.

After a few moments we pulled away with bright smiles and pink cheeks.

"Darling, will you be mine?" He asked, his face turning serious. I grinned happily and buried my face into his neck, still straddling his waist. "Yes!"

Tom chuckled, wrapping his arms around my waist and holding me protectively. One of his warm hands slipped underneath my shirt and caressed my back.

I fell asleep peacefully in his arms, the small bumps from the plane every now and then mixed with the loving embrace of my Thomas giving me the best nap I had in my entire life.