Chapter 24 - Flinch

While Kurumi rushes over, she is seeing this date go down. Will they make it to dessert?

Enjoy.

~~~~~

It typically wasn't my approach at all but I had to change my normal way of going about business. Being concerned about him becoming a monster similar to myself I was going to watch. I found myself watching over the two of them. I even grabbed myself attire I usually don't get myself into. I wore my hair long, put on designer glasses that had no prescription lenses, and a blue dress. 

Reine was down there putting things in prospective. The restaurant was nearly empty. Reine was serving as team members were cooking away. I myself was drinking tea to some nice cookies thinking that HE should be joining me. Not HER that harpy. That spoiled bitch with the sharp tongue and probably a playground for a mouth. 

~~~~~

Valena was getting ready to have herself a buffet. This wasn't Tohka appetite by any means, but this was going to be a ton of food for the other girls. It's like she was having her last supper. Which it very well could be, though as if she was suspecting a thing. The only matter at hand was running up the food bill as if they were making edible gold. 

"May I take your order?" (FN) and Valena looked up to see Reine.

< Reine and I pulled strings to guide you. We are pulling the stops to make sure this date works out. Her happiness meter is looking good. Let's keep it this way. > Said Kotori.

Valena looked through the menu. "Let's go with an order of dumplings, some shrimp udon,  veggie party with some sauce on the side, oh and how could I forget my mai-tai?"

Reine wrote everything down. "Alright. Anything else?"

"You Hun?" Valena asked her date.

"Pork lo mein and right now I guess some water."

"Not feeling all that hungr?" She asked.

"Not too much. Well, I wanted to ask you something. What brought you here? You don't seem to be from around here. A more upscale area."

She smirked. "Very good. But some aren't that cute or caring. I don't like them."

"You would think well off boys would be more respectful. Sorry to bring up a sore subject, but, how or why?" He asked her.

"Well Babe, for starters you held the door for me. Boys I grew up with expect something powered by a wallet or electricity to do it. Either a butler, maid, servant, or push the button and it does it for you. Not them. Some of them are afraid to get their hands dirty. The view we walked through is ugly and they don't want to set foot near them."

"Sounds like they're raising women where they can't play baseball with the boys. The 1920s are over. What's her name? Claribell?" (FN) chuckled.

"Oh my gosh. That's so accurate. Heck, the world ends if they touch a doorknob. What happened to being kind to a lady?"

"Clearly not taught. Which is funny because isn't this a kind of thing where they brag about their families for generations? Like their grandfather and his great grandfather? It goes against the values they speak of."

Valena giggled. "You know, we're from different classes, but we get along so well."

Kurumi shook her head as she was a few booths over thinking about that last sentence. We are. But it's been so long that I have adapted out of that lifestyle. I know you're younger and I can weigh you down, but thank you for appreciating me. I know you're with an attractive, younger woman, but its for work. I get it. But hopefully me and you can have some healing cuddles soon. This tea is tasting bitter without you.

(FN) shook his head. "True. Still don't understand those boys. For guys that are supposed to wear the pants, they obviously don't come in mens."

The lunch was going through smooth. Valena was eating to her heart's content. Not a mini version of Tohka stomach, but something where she cleared a total of eight orders. Concern if Reine didn't slip you the credit card. Otherwise the date is a complete wash. The spoiled type of girl with a guy who is broke? Bad match. Through and through. It's part of day to day life. Did she have bad taste? Yeah, of course. Good thing she wasn't (FN)'s girlfriend.

Afterwards they finished up and went on their walk. Through the city where there was still half ruins and no activity. So odd. About two hours passed and one would think that there is some sort of update on the city. Buildings still underground, no human or spirit activity, and no AST or DEM seen around. Why did everything seem so fishy? Almost as if it is a crisis gap in the future where everything is turned into fire, ashes, and oblivion. 

"I know it's not a sight you see by master photographers but the air is so peaceful." Valena grabbed (FN)'s hand and gazed into his eyes. "I'm going to cherish today." Her eyes twinkled. A small gust of wind blowing her direction to move her hair slightly. "Sweet boy."

"Valena..."

"Baby..."

"You're right. The air is nice. No cars, not a lot of buildings, it just seems like-"

"Just us?" She batted her lashes.

"Kind of. About that." (FN) replied. 

Valena hugged him. Then looking up to see where he was looking. Her eyes or her cleavage. "I want you. But I want you to tell me something. Tell me the truth." She whispered.

"What is it?" Would you die for a woman?

< Ut... > Kotori gasped.

"Huh?" He received a bite on his neck. There was a sharp pain. It wasn't a pleasing affection. Valena left a purple mark as he jumped back and pushed her away. He fell on his back as she started laughing. "What the hell?"

"You're so naive." Smirked Valena. 

< Bro! You okay? > Asked Kotori.

"You're a monster. And you're in my way. In fact, you've been assigned as my target. (FN) Itsuka."

The thoughts were starting to make his heart race. "How do you know me?" 

< (FN) calm down. Your rate is off the charts. Don't do it. >

"So, Demon, do you know who I am?" Valena began to slowly step towards him. 

"Who?" He gasped as he favored his neck in fear.

"I'm Menace. The spirit created by DEM. And what you see here is my doing. I set off the alarm. And tore everything down. For what cause? Fun! And you, I'm going to make you mine and afterwards toss you away."

"You're wrong. That's not how this works. Why do this? They're just using you." Cried (FN).

"And just like I am using you." She licked her lips.

His heart was racing. On the corner of a nearby building I could see it. His eyes were turning red. Softly biting his lips as the power was starting to consume him. But I didn't want to take away his lifespan. Though I was too late. I had to let him fight this and make sure he could return. For the first time in a real battle we were about to be allies. 

"Zafkiel!" Yelled (FN).

~~~~~

Will he make it? Or consume himself?

-Rel