IIII. The Same Way

Hesitantly, Lainey exited the home dojo leaving her dad and Eli alone together.

Eli inhaled sharply.

"Is everything ok?" Daniel asked, staring at the young boy whose cheeks were red.

"Uh, yes." Eli fumbled to get his shoes back on, still tying the laces as he was distracted by the fact his new Sensei had just seen him in a compromising position with his daughter. "You, uh wanted to talk to me?" Eli continued, standing upright as he scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh yes." Daniel exhaled. "At dinner, I noticed that you and Lainey are getting on.. Rather well."

Eli nodded. "She's cool."

Daniel frowned. "Cool, Eli? I just saw you kissing her.. On the floor of my home dojo, if I might add."

Eli glared at the floor. "Yeah... Sorry about that."

"Sorry?" Daniel asked. "Why are you sorry?"

Eli tilted his head. "Because you... Saw it?"

Daniel nodded, closing his eyes. "I'll be straight with you, are you just after one thing?"

Eli gulped. "W-What?"

"You know what I mean, Mr Moskowitz."

"Uhhh, of course not."

"Are you sure?" Daniel laughed. "Or did you just get that from Moon and that's why you dumped her?"

Eli's mouth fell open. "She dumped me," was all he managed to squeeze out. Being interrogated by his new Sensei really wasn't on his to-do list. "And if you want to know... no, we didn't uhhh," he awkwardly fumbled on his words, almost making the hand gestures before Daniel stopped him with his words.

"Yeah, sure."

"So, are you really sure you're not just going to sleep with my daughter and leave?"

"No."

"Sorry, what?" Daniel sighed.

"I mean yes I'm sure."

Eli blinked. If Eli was being honest, the tone in his voice didn't even reassure himself, so there's no way that Daniel LaRusso would believe the boy.

"I thought you hated each other anyway..."

"I did too," Eli whispered.

"Really?"

Eli nodded sheepishly.

Daniel rolled his eyes. "I just don't want to see it again, got it?"

Eli nodded hesitantly.

Daniel watched Eli as he left the home dojo, Lainey was standing outside in the hallway having heard everything. Eli saw her and sighed.

"Did you hear?"

Lainey nodded.

Eli sighed. "Oh god."