XCVIII. Safe Haven

Eli marched himself right to Counsellor Blatt's office after a student had told him that's where he saw Lainey headed.

So, he walked through the corridors, past the glaring students and towards her office door. He didn't even knock as he entered.

Counsellor Blatt looked up at him from her position at her desk, if it was any other student she would have told them to get out. But he didn't look like he would have listened anyway.

"Where's Lainey?" he asked the woman.

She didn't answer him.

"Please, Counsellor Blatt, I need to know if she's okay."

Blatt pointed behind the door. Eli looked around and saw that Lainey was sitting on the couch directly behind the door.

"God, are you alright?" he asked as he took a seat beside her.

Lainey shook her head. "Not really."

She caught a glance of Eli's hands, his knuckles were red.

"Eli, what–"

"Huh?" he asked. "Oh, Kyler."

"Kyler?" Counsellor Blatt asked.

"Was being disrespectful," Eli explained.

"And?"

"I talked about it with him," he lied through gritted teeth as he continued to look at Lainey, his back turned to Blatt.

"You talked?" Blatt checked.

"Yep."

"Really?"

"Yes, Counsellor Blatt. I– I mustered up the courage to t-talk to him."

Blatt smiled. "Well, that's very good Eli!"

Eli shrugged. "I tried my best."

"I'm sure you did, Eli." Counsellor Blatt nodded. "Did you resolve things with him?"

"Y-yes, I think so."

"Good." Counsellor Blatt stood up. "I have to head into the teachers lounge, so I will see you both later. You can stay here or leave, it's completely up to you."

"Leave?" Lainey asked.

"This room, Miss LaRusso."

"Oh. Yeah."

"But if you did want to leave the premises I won't stop you, I can see it's already been a difficult day for the both of you."

Eli rolled his eyes as Blatt left the room, the door closed softly behind her. He turned to look at Lainey.

"Are you alright?" he asked her. "Do you need me to kick anyone's ass?"

Lainey shook her head. "What happened with Kyler?"

"He was talking shit."

"What kind?"

"You don't want to know."

"Oh?"

"I'm serious, princess. He's so fucked in the head."

"Okay, I trust you." She smiled faintly as he looked back at her. "Are your hands alright?"

"They're fine," he responded. "Promise."

Lainey nodded.

"Did you wanna get out of here?"

"I wouldn't say no."

"Where do you wanna go?" Eli asked.

"Anywhere but here, honestly."