XCIII. Voicemail

"Thank you, Lainey. Your checkup was successful," the Doctor explained. "We'll be here if you need any advice – You have been referred to the pathology department who will confirm your results, we know you're pregnant but it's just routine. The hospital will see you next for the scan, and you'll receive a letter in the mail."

Lainey cringed. "To what address?"

"Your home address," the woman explained.

"What if I don't want it to be sent there?"

"Where would you prefer it be sent?"

"You can send it to my address," Eli explained.

"You want to update your address on our system?"

Lainey shook her head. It was awkward enough that this was Yasmine's mom, but trying to keep this a secret wasn't going to last much longer if she wasn't going to be honest about it.

"My parents don't know. The last thing I need is them finding out via a hospital letter."

The woman nodded. "I can sort it on this occasion for you. But you do realise – You will receive a phone call, not a letter regarding the pathology department."

"I understand."

"I'll push it as urgent so you should be getting that phone call no later than tomorrow."

"Thank you, I appreciate it."

"I have no problem with the letter being sent to my house," Eli explained. "It's totally fine."

"Your mom won't question it?" Lainey asked.

"She's always at work when the mail arrives."

"Okay." Lainey nodded. "But we need to tell them soon."

"I would advise that," Yasmine's mom explained. "Because this journey might be faster than you'd expect. You're already three weeks pregnant."

"When do I expect the scan?"

"Between 11 and 14 weeks."

Lainey inhaled. "Okay, I definitely need to have told them by then."

"I'd hope so," Yasmine's mom nodded. Alexa was a very kind woman.

"Thank you, Doctor."

"Keep safe, Lainey."

"You too."

"I'm only a phone call away if you need anything."

Lainey and Eli exited the clinic together and got into her car, she breathed a sigh of relief as she closed herself in her vehicle, just her and Eli.

"So it's 100% official," Eli said. "We're gonna be parents."

"Yeah."

"Aren't you excited?"

"I'm more scared."

"I get that, I get that." Eli rested his head against the headrest. "So, when do you think we should tell the parents?"

"Not today anyway."

"Oh definitely not at the family barbecue, that's just asking for a disaster."

"Yeah.." Lainey shuddered. "Remember the last family event when dad worked out we were having sex? I thought he was going to kill you, the. We do not need a repeat of that."

Eli nodded in agreement.

Lainey observed the clock on her dashboard. "What do you want to do before the barbecue later?" she asked.