LXIV. Accepting Scars

Lainey woke the next morning to the sound of Eli gently calling her name.

"Good morning beautiful," he cooed with a gentle smile. "How are you?"

"What time is it?" Lainey yawned.

"Early," Eli whispered. "But you wanted to watch the sunrise, didn't you?"

"Yes." She smiled. "Of course."

"Okay." Eli nodded. "If you get dressed now, I'll get our stuff together."

"What about food?" Lainey asked.

"We can take some snacks, but then when some place officially opens I'll treat you to some breakfast, how does that sound?"

Lainey grinned. "That sounds wonderful, but there's no food here. Maybe we should have gone grocery shopping. Will Anthony's sweet stash do?"

Eli chuckled. "We didn't think this through."

"Surely there's somewhere open where we can grab a bite to eat on the way there, it's fine."

"Good."

She sighed as Eli held her arms and gently attempted to pull her upright.

"Come on, princess." Eli laughed. "You have to get up."

"I know."

With a sigh, Lainey sat upright. She rubbed her eyes and looked around the room. Eli still sat beside her in nothing but his sweatpants. God, it was a welcomed sight.

"Go get dressed, princess." Eli smiled.

"Sure, sure."

"You're so cranky in the morning," Eli joked.

Lainey rolled her eyes. "Sure, like you aren't."

"Oh, I am. It's just that I've been awake longer than you."

Lainey shook her head. "Whatever, Moskowitz."

"Take this, LaRusso."

Eli tossed her a hoodie.

"I figured that you'd want to wear one of my hoodies today because it'll probably be cold."

Lainey smiled. "You bought a hoodie here for me?"

"Well, it was my hoodie but I guess it's yours now, right?"

Eli watched with a laugh as she went to get dressed. He did the same. He pulled a pair of jeans and a white shirt from his bag and waited for Lainey to get dressed so he could head into the bathroom after her.

As he waited for her, Lainey's phone buzzed on the nightstand. It stopped, and then did so again. Eli tried to ignore it. But for some reason, he turned the phone over and looked at the screen, it was Amanda.

He knew she wouldn't just phone without reason. So he answered.

"Hello?"

"Eli?" Amanda's voice spoke down the phone.

"Yeah, is everything okay?"

"Not exactly."

"Why, what's up?"

"Lainey's dad is in the hospital."

"Oh my god - why, what happened?"

"That's not important but please just let Lainey know for me?"

"Sure. I mean she'll probably want to come back today and I don't blame her."

"Sorry, Eli."

"Don't apologise, Mrs L. It's not your fault. We'll be there as soon as we can, ok?"