LVIII. I'm So Sorry

Some point after Eli had shared tea and conversation with Daniel and Chozen he felt tired. He had fallen asleep on the LaRusso couch.

Well - If tossing and turning was classed as a form of a sleeping pattern, that's what Eli had done for the majority of the early hours until he eventually fell asleep against his own will. But his body defeated him.

His eyes fluttered open as the sound of faint voices woke him. He rubbed his eyes and sat upright from his awkward sleeping position. He had one of the couch cushions in his arms as his head rested against the back of the couch.

He groaned lightly as eyes adjusted to the light and there it was hanging on the bannister of the stairs - his jacket. The one he had given to Lainey. He shot upright and looked around the room.

"We didn't mean to wake you," Daniel stated apologetically.

"It's fine," Eli replied tiredly. "Is Lainey home?" he asked as he looked between Daniel and Amanda.

Amanda nodded. "We got home a few hours ago, didn't want to wake you."

"How's Lainey? Is she alright?"

"As well as she can be."

"I'm just so sorry I didn't get there sooner."

"This is not your fault, Eli."

"Corey needs to be locked up."

Amanda exhaled. "If you want to go up and see her, you can. I know she's not sleeping. But she's resting."

Eli nodded. "I don't want to intrude."

"I know she'd be grateful for the company."

Eli nodded.

He walked through the silent house and crept up the stairs. It was barely 9am. Everyone was clearly very tired.

Eli approached Lainey's room. The door was ajar. His heart broke at the sound of her muffled sobs on the other side. He knocked lightly and entered.

The sight of her sprawled on her bed in an oversized shirt shattered his heart. It was one of his shirts. Another thing she had kept against Doctor Miller's advice.

He noticed her ripped dress crumpled on the floor in the corner of her room.

"Lainey," he whispered softly.

She turned to face him and wiped her eyes.

"Why are you here?" she asked.

"I'm here for you."

She wiped her tears and nodded as he gently sat beside her on the bed.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered. "I'm so incredibly sorry you had to go through that."

"I'm just glad you were there," she admitted.

Eli couldn't help it. He drew her closer. Lainey gladly accepted his embrace and wrapped her arms around his body.

"Thank you for saving me." She sobbed.

Eli noticed how she began to shake.

He grabbed her arms gently.

"You need to lie down, you're shaking. Are the drugs still in your system?" he asked as he examined her.

Lainey shook her head. "It's an after effect."

Eli frowned as he examined her bruised jaw from where Corey had grabbed her so harshly. "Shit, I'm so sorry."

"Thank you," was all she could respond. "If you hadn't gotten there, I don't know what I would've done."