LXVIII. World Famous Hot Cocoa

"So, do you want to tell me what happened?" Lucille LaRusso asked her granddaughter.

Lainey shook her head.

"You're going to have to sooner or later."

"I can't, not right now. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise. I'm just glad you're alright."

Lainey sat opposite her grandmother at her dining table.

"Thank you for picking me up last night," Lainey stated softly as she looked down at the fresh cup of hot cocoa on the table in front of her.

"It's alright, darling." Lucille smiled at her granddaughter. "You said you argued with your sister - is that all?"

Lainey took a breath. "Eli too."

"Oh, I see. I'm sorry."

Lainey sighed and took a sip of her coca. "I've missed this."

"My cocoa? It's world famous," Lucille smiled.

Lainey looked around her grandmother's dining room.

"You know, I'm so sorry I never visit as much as I used to," Lainey said.

"It's alright, my sweet. You're growing up. You all are."

"But that's no reason to stop visiting you. I promise I'll try and visit more often."

"Well, I'd love that very much." Lucille examined her granddaughter. "Are you sure you're alright?"

Lainey shook her head. "Not really, no. But I've got a therapy session today - would you be okay to take me there?"

"Sure, sweetie."

"I appreciate it. I kinda left my car at the country club, I'll have to go and get it later today."

"Anything for you."

"Do I have any clothes here?" Lainey asked.

"I think so? If not, your sister left stuff here too. Maybe you can combine it and make an outfit?"

Lainey laughed lightly. "That doesn't sound like a bad idea... What about shoes?"

Lucille frowned. "I still can't believe you didn't wear shoes to my car!"

The truth was, as soon as Lainey got to her house last night she called her grandmother and asked to be picked up almost immediately. And she was. She didn't have time to grab a fresh change of clothes, or grab a pair of shoes. She didn't even have time to grab a phone charger and now her phone was dead. She did however have time to grab her therapy journal and that was the most important to her as she spent her night letting her feelings out.

Her grandmother's phone rang. Lainey swallowed hard. She figured this would be the phone call that would land her in deep shit.

She watched as Lucille was on the phone. She knew it was her father on the other end. Lucille ended the phone call with a sigh.

"Lainey LaRusso - you told me that your father knew where you went last night!"

"Sorry.... I just wanted some time alone."

"Time alone? Honey, why?"

"I was just so angry. Please, don't make a big deal out of it."

"But they were all so worried about you! I think your father is very disappointed in you."

"That's nothing new... He's always disappointed in me."

Lucille frowned. "Honey, don't talk like that. Your father loves you. We all do."