LXXVII. Something New

Lainey woke early the next day, she walked over to her desk and looked at the bag of items Demetri had gotten for her. She emptied them onto her desk and decided today would be the day she put the items to use, and make something wonderful... At least, in her eyes. She sat at the desk and got to work.

After a morning of crafting and writing, and getting dressed - she made her way downstairs. She only then realised just how sore she was feeling after her run in with Grace.

She plonked down at the table with a heavy sigh.

"What's up?" Anthony asked with a frown as he offered her a croissant from his plate.

"I'm okay, Ant."

"Is it Grace?"

Lainey rolled her eyes. "Plus everything else."

"What do you mean?" Anthony asked.

"Just Eli's mom, Eli being in hospital still..." she took a breath. "It's all just a mess."

"I'm sure Eli will be out soon and you'll be able to see him," Anthony said as he attempted to provide his sister a glimmer of hope.

Lainey let out a sigh. "I don't know, Ant."

"How come?"

"His mom hates me now, I'm pretty sure."

Her brother let out a laugh. "Sure!"

"I'm serious."

"Wait, really?"

Lainey merely nodded as she grabbed herself some cereal and poured it into a bowl.

"Why does she hate you?" Anthony asked, using air quotes as he spoke.

"Because she just does."

"Did she catch you two getting frisky in the hospital?"

He laughed at the very notion.

"No, she just thinks I'm a bad influence."

"That's funny, because you're the most sensible person I know."

"Be serious."

"I am! You're such a good influence on me."

Lainey smiled sweetly at her brother.

He took a breath. "But I'm not dumb enough to have sex with my nerdy boyfriend when everyone's around."

Lainey curled an eyebrow. "So we have a type?"

Anthony rolled his eyes. "Just don't make such rash decisions when it comes to your sex life, yeah? Pretty tired of covering for you."

Lainey laughed. "You don't cover, you snitch."

Anthony nodded. "That's my duty as the little bro."

Lainey scoffed as he grinned at her from across the table. "Don't you have a therapy session to be getting to?"

"Yeah yeah. See you later."

"How about we go out for breakfast tomorrow?"

Anthony suggested.

Lainey nodded. "Smitty's?"

"You read my damn mind!"

Lainey nodded. "Sure, sounds good. Ask Sam if she wants to come. I need to go and get ready for my session."

"Sure Lainey, see you later."

Lainey knocked on the door of Doctor Miller's office and entered with a faint smile. She walked towards her usual spot and set herself.