Chapter 9: Holdin' Back

Chapter 9

 "You're too tempting for me; maybe all that I need. I know it's contadicting." -Bria Marie

----------------------------------------------
-3 weeks later-

"Have a nice day!" I smiled at the customer as they grabbed their bag and left out of the store.

"How's my workin' woman up there?" Mario called from the back. I laughed and started moving things around on the counter top.

"I'm good Mario!"

"Good, because I don't feel like coming to assist you." He chuckled. I shook my head an just leaned forward on the counter looking around the store.

I've been working here for almost three weeks now and its not too bad for a first job. I get free stuff when I want it, I'm the only one who's working for the most part so no one gets in my way, and I get paid good. The only down fall to the job is all the thirsty chulo's that walk in and out of here. There's a gang of guys that come in during lunch time just to bug me, they occasionally buy stuff, but it don't seem to happen enough.

I started playing with my hair when the bell on top of the store door went off. I sat up straight and looked towards the door to see Dolo, Jay and Donnie all stepping in.

"Baby mama!" Jay yelled coming over to the counter with the rest of them.

I laughed and leaned forward to give them all a hug. "Hey, what y'all doin' in here?"

"Came to get somethin' ta drank for my kick back." Dolo explained while Donnie and Jay headed to the back of the store where the drinks were.

"Oh so you havin' a kick back and you didn't invite me?" I asked shoving his shoulder. He chuckled and leaned on his arm.

"Girl you don't need no invitation, you know you welcomed up in my crib whenever."

"Yea whatever. So when this little kick back suppose to go down?" I asked just as Jay and Donnie came back setting a couple of two liters and some snacks onto the counter.

I started ringing them up and then bagged everything before asking for the money and then handing them their change.

"Tonight at ten, but you know you're welcomed to come through earlier than that."

"Yea well I won't be. Imma go home and take a nap before I come over."

"Iight lil girl. On yo workin' woman shit, I like it." Jay spoke up. I giggled and rolled my eyes.

I haven't seen all three of them in a couple days since there has been some big shit going down with Ronnie's production and some rival gang. All of his men have been forced to work more and be out later on look out for anything that could go wrong. These long nights and early mornings have had me worried about Kayo and mama and Papi are worried too. He finally came clean and told them what he was doing after finding a gun in his room. That night he and papi had a long conversation that I couldn't listen in on, but when they both came back into the house Papi was teary eyed and Kayo just went straight to his room without saying anything else for the rest of the night. I hope papi told Kayo how dangerous this all was so he can understand its not just me buggin', this life just really ain't for him.

"Oh shit I forgot," I mumbled before dipping my hand into my purse behind me and pulling out a envelope.

I handed it to Dolo since he was the most trust worthy of the three. "Please give this to Ronnie."

Dolo opened the envelope and looked at the money before looking up at me confused. "What's this about?"

I could see that he was very confused and I'm sure because he was wondering as to why I was paying Ronnie for anything , hell I'd be wondering the same.