Chapter 22: Making It Happen

Chapter 22

"One day I put an angel in your ultra sound." -Kanye West
----------------------------------
Ronnie

"You see any boarder patrol?" I asked my cousin Anthony who was looking around the land through some binoculars.

We finally made it down here after two days of driving and according to my dad, our cousins train that they've been riding on top of should be here in the next five minutes. They're gonna make their way as close to us as possible and we gone help 'em the rest of the way, and smuggle they asses over in the truck.

"We got three cops just camping out a little ways ahead, but other than that, we clear." He explained.

"Iight, keep looking to see if you see any of the cousins."

"Got it."

We all just kind of stayed crouched down watching boarder patrol and any sign of the cousins. This shit could go down real bad since BP is here. I had assumed the spot that we agreed to pick them up from would be empty, but clearly that ain't the case. I don't know how they gone get past BP, but I'm hopin' they smart enough to figure it out. I need all my family to come home safe and sound.

"Ronnie, Ronnie I see 'em." Anthony whispered while tappin' my shoulder.

I turned to look where he was looking and saw the dark figures of our cousins crouched behind some trees. They were far enough from boarder patrol that if they stayed low and moved real quietly they could make it. Then again they also close enough that if they make enough noise or any sudden movements, BP gone catch on and be on their asses quick. It was a hit or miss at this damn point, but I'm determined to get them over here.

I walked to the edge of where we were standing so that the cousins could see me better. I noticed them all look at me and wave, and I waved back to signal that I saw them too. I started doin' my best to instruct them on what they needed to do next. I was trynna explain they needed to army crawl they way over here slowly. They clearly wasn't gettin' it because for a long time none of them moved. Since it was dark outside I couldn't see if they were talking or not and I couldn't see their faces real well either, but I guess one of them figured it out because what looked like the youngest one of them all started crawling through the grass, and everyone behind him followed.

It took a while and I was gettin' nervous, because every now and again they'd make a noise and one specific guard kept looking back. The nigga had me nervous and I was just ready for the cousins to get over here, and clearly they all felt the same 'cause outta know where they all hopped up and started to run the rest of the way, but as soon as they did BP was on they asses.

Boarder patrol came running, and shootin' straight out the damn gate. I pulled my own gun out, and started firing. I know I hit one in the arm, but he kept comin'. They were so close, especially the youngest who was in front, but it all went down when one of the cops fired at him and shot him dead in the head makin' him drop instantly.

"Mijo!" I heard one of the women yell at the top of her lungs.

The rest kept coming, but she had dropped to her knees to help the boy. I knew BP was closin' in real fast so it ain't take long for me to make the decision to hop the damn barrier my damn self and run over to the woman. The rest of the cousins made it over the barrier, and to the truck from what I saw, but then my focus was directly on the woman. She was still screaming holding the lifeless body of the little boy, and BP was getting too damn close. I made it to her before they did and helped her up. That's when Boarder started firing again, and I felt two shots ring off somewhere in my arm and back, and for a second I almost fell, but got my shit together and helped the woman over the barrier.