Chapter 10: Always Been

Chapter 10

Always Been
------------------------------------------
Lena

After Ronnie decided to kiss me, he announced to everyone that we were leaving and took me to his car. Now we've just been driving around listening to music. Its been chill, but that doesn't mean my mind hasn't been going crazy wondering where we were going with all this shit between us.

"Ronnie?" I finally spoke up. He looked over at me with a cool little smirk on his face.

"What's up mami?"

"Where we goin'?"

He chuckled and made a turn into downtown. "Why can't you just ride wit' me? We gotta have some typa destination?"

"Yea we do. I don't trust you, you could take me anywhere and have me killed." I told him. He looked over at me and laughed before pulling up in front of a shop.

I know this shop like no other; Best authentic Mexican food in all of South Central. I've been going here since I was a little kid just like everyone else around here. This was the spot to be on Sundays after church, but I haven't been here in a while and my stomach has missed this, I could tell just from how it growled at the mere thought of Tina's enchiladas.

"Come on." Ronnie instructed as he left out the car. I followed suit and walked behind him up to the shop doors.

I could see Mrs.Lupe sweeping up the floor and Tina herself wiping down tables. "Ronnie I think they're closing."

He just ignored me and stepped into the restaurant anyways. As soon as you step in the smell of beans, rice and tortilla shells was everywhere. It was also warm and home like, Mrs.Lupe seemed to always make the restaurant feel like home and I think that's one of the reasons so many people loved to come here all the time.

"Ronnie!" Mrs. Lupe smiled once she turned and saw the both of us. He smiled back at her and then pulled her into a hug.

"Hey Lupe. How are you?"

"I'm very good. Whatchu doin' here boy?" She asked. I just stood by and watched their exchanges.

"I was wonderin' if you or TT could whip me and Lena here, up somethin' to eat." He pointed towards me. Mrs.Lupe looked over at me and I waved at her making a large smile grow on her tan face.

She moved from Ronnie over to me and grabbed me up in a tight hug. "Lena! It's been so long hun!" She stated before pulling away from me.

She's right it has been so long since I've seen her, too long actually considering I used to see her everyday before I went to high school. Mrs.lupe was my babysitter and took care of me every morning before school and after school, I really looked at her like a second mother at a point in time, but then I got in high school and didn't need her to babysit me any more so I rarely saw her.

"It sure has. I haven't seen you in forever." I smiled down at her. She patted my stomach and then pinched my thigh making me jump.

"You need to eat baby girl. Skinny, skinny. Got those hips like your mama and don't got no meat on them," she shook her head before pointing at Tina. "You come on and help me make them something."

Tina nodded and gave Ronnie a kiss on the cheek as he did the same to her before she disappeared back in the kitchen with Mrs.Lupe. Ronnie looked at me and shook his head chuckling before walking past me to a table.

"She's crazy man." He laughed some more as I took my seat across from him.

"Yea, but you gotta love her." I stated.