Goodbye For Now

Monday, Sept. 22rd (JFK International Airport) (Allie's Perspective)
There's something about driving to the airport early in the morning that just hits different. It's dark outside, barely anyone's on the road, it's weirdly comforting. While I felt this way, I also felt a ball of butterflies in my stomach. My Dad's leaving for Toronto today, and we wouldn't be joining him.
"Alright, we're here." We all got out of the car. Andrew and August took out Dad's luggage. Amaya and I stood silently as Mom and Dad talked to each other.
"You can do this." I heard him saying to her.
"Alright, kids. Dad has to go check in now." We all stood quietly. Andrew went over to hug him.
"Bye, Dad."
"Bye Andy. Keep being you're lovable, funny self. But, know when not to cross the line. Remember what we talked about, okay?" He nodded.
"My sweet My-My, you've really improved behaviorally since the summer. I'm proud of you. Keep communicating, and don't forget to call me so we could have our weekly check-ins."
"I won't, I promise. I love you." They hugged.
"Allie, the teenager." I giggled.
"You've been amazing lately as well. Keep improving! I expect nothing but the best from you."
"Roger that." He kissed me.
"And August...." He put his hands on his hips.
"You're growing into an excellent young man. Keep being an amazing brother and help your mother out while I'm gone. Don't give her any extra stress."
"When have I ever done that?" He joked.
"Group hug?!" We all hugged him again.
"I'm gonna genuinely miss you guys."
******************
Homeroom (Charlotte's Perspective)
It's 8:40...Andrew is late... I stared at the clock. Is Andrew okay? Is something wrong? He's never late to school. When I texted him this morning he seemed fine. I looked at our messages.

Me: hey
Andrew: hey
Andrew: I've been up since like 3 am
Me: why
Andrew: it's a long story
Andrew: are u having your daily Starbucks yet?
Me: 🙄😪

"Charlotte, am I boring you?" Ms. Jameson asked.
"No ma'am." I sighed. Where is he? The door opened.
"Good morning, Andrew."
"Morning, sorry that I'm late." He moved his hair from his face and gave my teacher a note.
"That's alright. We're on page 54 in your scholastic math book." He's okay.
"Why are you late?" I whispered.
"We had to drop my Dad off at the airport. He's gonna be away filming a movie."
"Ohhhh." I got so worried over nothing. Andrew instantly caught up with the math work and I just felt so stupid. Why did I care that much?
******************
Science Class (10:34 AM) (Amaya's Perspective)
Dad left this morning and I sort of just feel weird. Both Mom and Dad usually are super busy so I don't miss them all of the time, I'm used to it. But the difference between this time and every other time is that I knew I'd be able to see him the next day or on the weekends, but now he's a country away.
"You okay?" Harper whispered. I nodded. I didn't think this would bug me so much.
"Amaya, can you tell us about the mitochondria?"
"No, I can't." I said before going back to doodling on my paper.
"Um...the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell." Harper said quickly. Our teacher nodded and continued teaching.
"Thanks."
"Don't mention it. Do you wanna grab a cookie after school? It's on me."
"No thanks, I'll just go home."
"Why are you in such a bad mood?"
"I'm not in a bad mood. We're supposed to be learning right now." I went back to writing on my paper.
"Whatever you say."
^^^^^^^
Lunch (12:35 PM)
"My-My you forgot your-"
"Oh, just go away."
"What's with the disgusting attitude?" Allie asked.
"Just leave me alone. Can't you see that I'm sitting by myself? Go back to your friends."
"I see that your friends are confused by your behavior. I see that you're angry. Is this about that big fight you had with Mom and Dad a little while before he left?"
"Allie." My eyes started to water.
"Wait I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."
"Well, you did. Are you happy now?"
****************
My Trailer (2:17 PM) (Mariska's Perspective)
"M!"
"Hey." My trailer tends to get busy. We've got makeup and hair, assistants, crew members, and cast members. Sometimes I wish I had a second to breathe.
"Peter left this morning?" Kelli asked. When Kelli appears, I get my breather.
"Yeah, it was a pretty solemn sight. You know, Amaya and Andrew who usually have a lot to say were pretty quiet when telling their Dad goodbye."
"August and Allie?"
"They handled it pretty okay. They were quiet too, but I think that has more to do with it being 3 AM than them being sad. They're used to it."
"And the littles aren't?"
"No, I'm afraid they aren't." I sighed.
"And now I'm raising four kids by myself for practically a year."
"But you have the world of help at your disposal. Nannies, private nurse..."
"Still, at the end of the day, on my days off, during weekends, holidays, breaks, I'm the one taking care of them alone. It isn't easy. Having help doesn't make me any less of a mother."
"I didn't say that M."
"I know...sorry." I sighed.
"I'm just missing Peter right about now." Kelli held my hand.
"How about we go out Friday? Take your mind off of all of this for a little bit? You could invite Ali and Debra." I smiled.
"You always know how to cheer me up."
"Guys, we need you on set in five."
"And there goes our break." I chuckled. Kelli left and I looked at the picture of the 6 of us on my desk. He'll be back before we know it, right?
****************
The Dining Room (7:35 PM) (Andrew's Perspective)
"So how was today, guys?" Our Mom asked. Today's our first full day without Dad. Nobody looks particularly happy though. I mean I'm fine.... I don't think Amaya is though. Or Charlotte, she's been weird. Wait, Charlotte has nothing to do with this. Ugh.
"Okay." Everyone said.
"Just okay? Nothing happened at school?" Our personal chef began placing the plates on the table.
"Yep." August said.
"Okay... Allie, how was your private art lesson today?"
"Okay, we worked on perfecting landscapes. I painted some mountains today."
"Beautiful. Was therapy alright as well?" Allie kind of zoned out before answering.
"Sure." It was pretty awkward.
"Um, may I be excused?"
"But you haven't even taken a bite-"
"I'm not hungry, I ate earlier." Mom sighed.
"Amaya, what about-"
"I don't want to get into it. Can't you see that nobody wants to talk?!"
"Amaya, wait please-"
"No, Mama. I'm going to bed."

Charlotte: Don't scare me like that ever again, like I thought you died or something like that 😭
Me: Wait you were actually WORRIED
Charlotte: Yeah. You're never late, Andy.

"Andrew?"
"Sorry." The tension was really bad.
"I'll go check on Amaya and Allie." August said.
"Well, I guess it's just us."  I chuckled nervously. I knew what was coming next.
"I guess so."
"Who were you texting?"
"Nobody...."
"Interesting." My phone buzzed.

Charlotte: you're doing it again.
Charlotte: the whole randomly disappearing thing

"That doesn't seem like nobody, Andy."
"Uhhh, pardon me!" I skipped over to the living room to answer.

Me: I'm not dead I promise, I was just eating dinner.
Charlotte: Oh, sorry
Charlotte: Are you done? Wanna play COD
Me: You play COD? 😲
Charlotte: 🙄 girls can game too
Me: let's play then
******************
Toronto, Ontario (Canada) (11:16 PM) (Peter's Perspective)
"How was your first day without me?"
"Just okay. I thought about you a lot at work today." I smiled.
"I thought about you a lot today too.....You look distressed, are you okay?"
"I'm fine, sweetheart. Just tired. Tell me how filming was today."
"Are you sure? Remember in therapy, we talked about communication. If something's wrong-"
"I'm fine, babe. Tell me." Something in my gut told me that she wasn't being fully honest, but part of our agreement was to trust each other, and I had to hold up my end of the deal.
"Well, everyone's nice. I did a couple of stunts."
"Now you're just trying to show off, you know I can't do those anymore." She laughed quietly.

To be continued~