Rocky Waters

Tuesday, August 25th (9:30 AM) (Riverside Drive, UWS, NY) (Peter's Perspective)
"Mymy, it's time to get out of bed. We have to go to the orthodontist today, remember?" She didn't move.
"Amaya?" I heard the sniffles and I knew my daughter was crying. I sat on my daughter's bed and watched as she cried.
"I know we haven't been the best of friends lately, and I don't know why. But I was hoping that maybe you could tell me why-"
"I don't want to tell you anything, go away!"
"Why not?"
"You don't even listen to me, just go away!" She pulled the covers over her head and I sat down next to her.
"Amaya, can you please sit up so we can have a conversation?"
"I don't want to talk to you. I'll get dressed." She grabbed her clothes and went into her bathroom, where she then slammed (and locked) the door. What am I going to do? I feel like history is repeating itself again. At this age, my relationship with Allie started to change, and now the same is happening with Amaya. I wish Mariska was here so that she could help guide me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
*****************
The Konak Residence (1:30 PM MST) (Allie's Perspective)
"Isabella, we have to show Allie your new room! It's so cool."
"You finally redid it!!" I said while smiling. Isabella has been complaining for the past year that her room is too childish but she never wanted to tell her parents. I guess she finally mustered up the courage. My friends took me upstairs and unveiled the room. It was now a powder blue with frames containing aesthetic quotes. She even had a cute little floor couch.
"This seems so fluffy!" We all sat on it.
"Thank goodness she finally grew some balls and told our parents she didn't like her room anymore."
"Right! Thank goodness for that, your room looks so good!"
"So let's talk about something!" Stephanie said.
"What?"
"Anything!"
"Why don't you tell Allie about your boyfriend."
"Boyfriend?! You never told me you had a boyfriend!"
"Well, he's not my boyfriend."
"Uh..he kinda is your boyfriend Steph!"
"Tell me about the guy, even if he's not your boyfriend! Pleaseeee!" I begged.
"I'll even flash my puppy eyes if I have to!"
"Okay, okay! You don't have to flash your puppy eyes! His name is Asa."
"Asa?! That sounds like a cute name! Tell me all about him!"
"Well, he came to my school towards the end of the school year and we've been texting ever since he was assigned the seat next to me in English class."
"This just keeps getting juicy and juicer!"
"Tell her about English!" Stephanie smiled. She smiled that smile you make when you really like someone and the thought of them makes your heart jump. You have butterflies swarming inside of you and feel all jittery! I know what that's like. That's
how I feel about Josh. I miss him.
"My English teacher, Mrs.Avery assigned new sweats that day because everyone kept 'talking to each other', whatever that meant. Everybody else was in their new partnership. Except for Asa and I. That's when I realized we were sitting together,"
"Go on!"
"It was a bit awkward at first, but we had a project to do that day. We had to make a claim about one of the characters in this book we were reading and come up with evidence to support it. He was very helpful and nice, but what really made me laugh was when he told me he did this already in this at his old school, so we basically copied his old work and we finished early."
"Get to the juicy part Steph! You keep holding back!" Isabella said while rolling her eyes.
"He told me about how he used to live in London before this, he had this little accent showing through. His family moves a lot so he said he got used to instability. Then, he literally held my hand as I answered the questions he asked me."
"Woah! He was moving quick."
"I know! Before you go back to New York you should meet him." She continued to tell me the story and I couldn't believe my girl Stephanie had her first kiss with this guy as well! But, he seemed sweet! So, that's great!"
"I totally want to meet him! I want to know the guy who's kissing my friend!"
***************
Provo, Utah (5:45 PM) (Home) (Mariska's Perspective)
"Debra! Roman!" My good friend, Debra, and her son Roman were spending a few days with us.
"Mariska! We missed you!" I gave them hugs and helped them settle in.
"Where's Allie? We brought her flowers and cookies."
"She's in the music room playing away." I sent Allie a text telling her to come upstairs and she greeted her Aunty Debra and Roman sweetly.
"I'm about to start cooking dinner, salmon for us and filet mignon for the kids."
"I'll help Mama, I know you guys are tired from the flight."
"We certainly are, Mariska we'll be upstairs unpacking."
"Of course! You go do that!" I watched Allie as she peeled the potatoes so we could have roasted alongside our meal.
"So Allie, did you enjoy yourself today?"
"Yeah. I had a lot of fun with my friends."
"How was therapy?" I asked. She ceased peeling the potatoes and sighed.
"Bug, what's wrong?"
"It wasn't good."
"Why?"
"It just, it was too emotional, and I hate getting emotional."
"I know you do, what did you guys talk about?" Allie squeezed her eyes shut and then began to hyperventilate.
"Allie, it's okay. It's okay! I'm here, I won't let anything happen to you, you're safe, and we don't have to talk about it anymore sweetheart. I'm sorry I pushed you."
"You don't have to be sorry! It isn't your fault. It's all Felix's fault I'm so damaged. He broke me and I can never be fixed! I'm ruined."
"Allison Maya, you are not ruined! You didn't have the greatest start in life but you've worked hard all of these years to deal with your trauma and you're doing do great! You're the bravest 12-year old I know, and I'm so proud to have you as my daughter! You are not ruined! You are not damaged! You are an intelligent, capable, and witty girl! You're stronger than you even realize."
"I'm constantly on the verge of a mental breakdown, how the hell am I strong?! Huh? Tell me, how the hell am I strong. I made you take like 3 weeks off of work to babysit me!"
"You're strong because no matter what happens, you get right back up and tackle it head-on! Yes, you may have those not so pretty days everyone has those, but overall, you've grown, baby even recognizing that you need help is such a big step! If you weren't strong we wouldn't be in Utah right now trying to get to the root of things. We would be back in New York, where we'd be constantly fighting and getting upset with each other. You'd be running away from home like you have multiple times before, and you'd be skipping therapy. Am I wrong?"
"No," Allie said while crying.
"This trip has been the best thing that has happened for our relationship, and I don't want to go back to that place Allie, I don't want to see you in that much pain ever again. I don't want you doing unsafe things because you don't know how to communicate properly, I want you to be able to communicate healthily, know when you need a break, and know when you need help. And you've been improving in all of those areas in the past week or so, we're not going down that road again, so no more negative speech." At this point, I was bawling my eyes out as well.
"I'm sorry Mama." She said while hugging me.
"You have nothing to be sorry for!"
*****************
Our Penthouse (Riverside BLVD.) (Upper West Side, Manhattan) (8:15 PM EST) (Amaya's Perspective)
As of this morning, I'm grounded. I can't hang out with Harper, and I can't have my sleepover with Lila and Evelyn. Dad grounded me because I was talking back and giving him an attitude. To be honest, I don't even care about being grounded because it means I can stay in my room all day without anyone questioning it.
"Amaya, can we talk?" Dad was standing in front of my bedroom door. He'd just come back from filming and it seemed like he was fresh out of the shower because his hair was wet.
"Amaya? Are you ignoring me?"
"No, I'm not ignoring you. I'm tired." I turned to face my wall and Daddy sat on my bed.
"I know you're not tired. My-my, these past couple of days haven't been the best, and I just want to know why you've been so unlike yourself."
"How?"
"Talking back, having an attitude, and not doing what you're told for starters." Dad sighed.
"Amaya, is something bothering you?"
"Yes, something is! And I told you the first time this happened! I told you why! But I bet you weren't even listening!"
"Amaya-"
"No, I don't want to hear it! You don't listen to me and that's exactly the problem! If you had listened this wouldn't even be happening right now! I wish Mama was home!"
"Mom being home would not have changed your punishment."
"Yeah, but at least she would've listened to me! And she wouldn't make it all about herself like you did." I went under the covers and cried. I wish my Dad would stop treating me like a baby, and actually listen to what I have to say. Usually, Dad does that except when it's a non-negotiable rule, but lately, he's been so different. I don't know why.
I want Mama and Allie back. Nobody's on my side right now and they're the only ones who would be on my side.

To be continued~

A/N: Happy New Year! I hope you enjoy this chapter! I hope everyone has a great year despite all of the challenges! Xoxo
(First chapter of 2021 woo!)