Downtown

"I kind of want ice cream but it's so cold though." I looked at all of the shops and bakeries as I walked down the street with my parents. People kept asking them for pictures which I didn't mind very much.
"Chinese for lunch?"
"Sure." We went into the restaurant and was seated quickly. I told my parents to order whatever, I was willing to try a whole bunch of foods. I went on my phone and checked my messages. My boyfriend had texted me.
Joshy✨: How's everything?
Alliee🥰: Pretty good actually. I'll bring you back something sweet from the candy shop.
Joshy✨: I have something sweet for you also. I laughed out loud. I couldn't help it.
"What's so funny?"
"Something someone said." My parents looked happy to see me smiling.
"Allie, I'm so proud of you for smiling today. That's a big step." My mother said.
"Thanks Mama."
Alliee🥰: I hope it's chocolate.....
Joshy✨: It isn't, you know that.
Alliee🥰: Omg Stop, my parents are right here!
I smiled and put my phone in my purse.
"Sorry about that."
"It's alright." Daddy put his arm around me as the food came.
"It looks great." I ate as my Mom put more food on my plate because I was getting too skinny.
"This is too much." I said while laughing.
"It's just enough for a growing girl, eat it all." My mom said while nudging.
"Oh alright." I enjoyed the food, but it wasn't authentic. If you get where I'm going at.
"I like the dumplings."
"Alright, we'll take some to go."
"Mama, when I go home I'm going to practice on the piano."
"I thought guitar was your thing?"
"I decided to start playing the piano in school because I didn't want to play in and outside of school. I wanted to love it at a distance."
"I see. Maybe you and Daddy should play a song together."
"You still play?"
"I can try."
"Please Daddy?"
"Why not?" I leaned on Daddy and played with his hands a little.
"You should paint your nails."
"Me? No."
"Not an actual color dad, clear polish. I'll make your nails look amazing! There's this guy in my class who literally was like, I just got a manicure! And he isn't gay or anything, his girlfriend took him along and forced him to get his nails done. He was going my nails look great and blah blah blah." My parents laughed along with me as I continued.
"I made Joshy do his and he was like Yasss. Then he said he looks thick, I said please stop you're fat."
"This Generation is really different."
"This Generation is amazing." I added.
********
Home
We came home from the Hamptons and I finished up the last of my homework. Mama and Daddy were working and I didn't have anywhere to be considering I was still staying home from school.
"Here's a sandwich."
"Thank you." I took a few bites before talking again.
"Anne?"
"Yes?"
"I feel slightly better."
"Are you going to school tomorrow?"
"I feel scared too. I've been gone for a while, and people will start asking me questions."
"Remember when you got hurt in the gym?"
"Yeah? Why wouldn't I remember that?"
"You went back to school brave as ever."
"I did, I did. But this is different, I was hurt then. This time around people know that something was wrong with me. Up here." I pointed towards my head and sighed.
"I think only your friends know."
"They don't."
"So then why assume the whole school knows?"
"Wouldn't they know via August?"
"Via August? How?"
"He can tell them you know.. He obviously isn't as innocent as he seems with that stunt he pulled earlier this year."
"What he did wasn't the best thing to do, but you shouldn't talk about your brother in that way. He could be keeping it a secret you know."
"I hope he is keeping it a secret."
"You should have more faith in August, Allison." Whenever Anne says my full name in that kind of way you know she's being serious and trying to indirectly scold me.
"Yes, Anne." That's my usual response whenever she does that.
"Have you practiced violin for the day?"
"I have not. I only did guitar today."
"You should go practice."
"Anne, I'm not really a big fan of the violin. It hurts me a little and it's very hard to learn." She put down her salad and sat next to me.
"I know you're not the biggest fan, believe me I can tell whenever you play it, but your Aunt bought you that violin with good intentions. I also promised your Father that I'd supervise you playing it. Let's just stick it out for a little while okay?"
"Alright, just for a little while." Anne was a very understanding person. She always knows what I like and don't like. And she tries to help me get out of doing the things I don't like if you know what I mean.
*******
English
I came back to school today and hopped right back into my work. It was finally the end of the day and my mom allowed me to go out to Starbucks for a little while with my friends. She said to me,
"If you only go anywhere other than Starbucks and the route home you'll be in trouble." Which is what I don't want. Even when I was having my whole situation I was still in my mother's good graces and I'd like to keep it that way.
"We're glad you're back." We did a group hug as we walked.
"Why were you gone?" Joy asked.
"Yeah, Why were you?"
"Can we speak about it in the group chat?"
"Of course." Kaylee said. We kept walking and as we were walking my friends filled me in on the things that I missed. Josh had his arm around me as I thought of how to reply.
"So you're telling me Safia liked his pickle? Um okay."
"Why do you say it like that?"
"I'm trying to make something dirty into something comedic. Kill me." We walked into to Starbucks and stopped talking about the topic. I looked at the menu and I didn't know what to get.
"I'll buy your stuff."
"Thanks Joshy." He got me a grande Caramel Frappuccino and he got me a sandwich. I told him he didn't have to but he insisted.
"So, everyone. I'm going away for Christmas. Do you guys want to do something before I go?"
"That would be great. Why don't we go out for some food?"
"What kind of food. And not Korean." Brian said.
"We almost always have Korean."
"Japanese?"
"Oh my gosh." Brian said.
"You said not Korean. I gave an amazing suggestion." We all couldn't help but laugh then. She does have a point.