Day 2

My eyes light up once the students finally filter into class with their parents once it's finally time, happily chatting as they hang up their bags and then go to their tables. A soft chuckle leaves my lips when I spot Sam and Sally, his little girl excited for the day but still nervous and clinging to her daddy's hand. Slender winces slightly when she tugs on his hand and I can only imagine the death grip Sally had on his hand. It cracks me up how strong little kids can be. It's so easy to underestimate them but they could surprise you in so many ways. I make my way towards them when Sally sees me and starts waving the hand not in Sam's.

"Well you're right so far," Sam tells me with an amused smile.

"I told you," I tell him with a chuckle. "I've done this plenty of times

I introduce everyone to the plans of the day, still in the 'getting to know you' phase, so most of the tasks were being kept simple for the first couple of days. Today, I am having the students draw something that comes to mind. For some I suggest drawing activities they did over the summer, maybe draw their favorite pet, or even their favorite T.V. show. Nothing was wrong or too far out there, at least, that's what I thought until I was making my rounds to check on everyone and see Sally's drawing.

"That is very impressive Sally," I tell her as I pause at her desk. "You're quite the little artist."

"Thank you. It's a picture of me and daddy," She tells me with an excited smile.

"Sally, you forgot your daddy's face," I chuckle softly, pointing to the man in the picture.

"Oh right!" She giggles, drawing a little kid smiley face on the paper.

"So you like the woods?" I ask her, noting the trees that were in the background behind her and her daddy.

"Yes. very much!" She says with an excited giggle.

"As do I. Oh I know," I smile excitedly as I step to the front of the classroom. "Class how many of you would like to go for an adventure during recess today?"

All of the students grin at me with shining eyes and shoot their hands into the air, a few shouting 'Me! Me! Me!' as well. I laugh and nod my head, helping everyone get ready once the bell rings to signal recess. I then lead them to a small park near the woods that bordered town. It was only a block or two away from the school and served as kind of a second playground when field day was going on but we teachers would sometimes use this as recess if we wanted to do an activity with very wide open space. The large space helps to keep the different booths and activities separate without feeling overcrowded and the kids got to interact with their fellow students in other classes.

This park is also where I hold the school's annual scavenger hunt but I figure today would be a good day to surprise my students with a mini version of it. Usually parents and their children would pair up to complete the scavenger hunt but it never hurts to let them try and be independent on their own, plus I don't have any other people here with me so the kids would have to be paired up together as groups. I'm sure they'll be able to handle it but I'll be there should they need anything.

"Okay everyone, I want you all to get in a group of four each. We are going to have a scavenger hunt!" I announce with an excited smile. "First group to find all the items get to be first in line for the icecream truck."

"Yay! Will it be in the woods?!" Sally asks excitedly. She would be a pro at this game!

"Yes it will. Now, there is a fence around the area we'll be playing in so no one try to go past it okay?" I tell everyone. Well, it wasn't in the woods but more on the outskirts. Maybe two or three trees in so I could still see everyone.