Day 3: Science and Awkward Questions

"Daddy please just stay next to me?" Sally asks, her green eyes shining as she looks up at Sam.

"Alright, but you'll have to get used to me being gone at some point," Sam points out with a chuckle. "I wasn't even supposed to be here yesterday!"

"Never! You stay by me all the time!" She pouts, crossing her arms and stomping her foot in displeasure. "Just stand next to my table until you have to go!"

"Sals," He chuckles with a shake of his head. "Don't start throwing tantrums on me please."

"Two more days Sam," I say, winking as I walk past the two of them with a tote for our science project.

"I swear you're wrong," He tells me with a shake of his head. "I never hear the end of it once I get home! She's still insisting that I need to somehow become a little kid so I can come to school with her."

"We'll see if I'm wrong," I say with a laugh. "So far I've been right. If you could turn yourself into a kid that would be very impressive. I'm sure I'd enjoy teaching you."

"Nuh-uh! Daddy is a.....know it all!" Sally pauses before figuring out the statement. "My Uncles said so!"

"Oh really? Then I guess I'll be paying them a visit," Sam growls out softly. "They're not perfect either. I swear I wish I was an only child sometimes."

"Trust me, you'd hate it," I snort with laughter. "I wish I had had siblings. Would have made childhood a lot more fun."

"Average home sure, but my siblings are anything but average," Sam explains with a soft huff. "Alright, there's the bell. I gotta go."

"WAIT! What about my hug and kiss?!" Sally demands, her green eyes narrowing with displeasure.

"I'm sorry," Sam laughs, scooping Sally into his arms and giving her a tight squeeze. "Be good. I love you."

"I love you too!" She smiles, hugging Sam tight and placing a kiss on his cheek before he lets her down.

I smile as she takes her seat and Sam then leaves, turning back to my students. I quickly take role call and then we're all ready to dive into the lesson of the day.

"Alright everyone! I have quite the experiment for you today! I'm going to show you the color changing milk experiment," I explain with a smile.

"Color changing milk?" The students question, looking at one another in confusion.

"Y/N you do this every year. It gets stupid," Mrs. Rose complains when she suddenly enters my classroom. "I'm taking a few things. You're always stocked up so I don't see it as a big deal."

"I think the experiment is still fascinating," I growl softly at her before I return my attention to my students and try to ignore her. "Okay partner up while I lay out the ingredients on the table."

Everyone gets partnered up and I go around and lay out the items that would be needed for the experiment, mostly pouring the milk in the bowls and then adding a bit of dish soap to some small Dixie cups.

"Now, I've poured milk into these plates and I want you to take your food coloring and add about four drops of each color to the milk. Don't mix them but make sure they are close together. Then, dip your cotton swobs in the dish soap and place the cotton swab right in the middle of your food coloring drops," I explain, doing everything on the projector as I explain the steps.

"WOW!" Everyone says excitedly, soft murmurs of delight going through the classroom as they watch the instructions.

"Alright, now your turn," I tell them. "If you need any kind of help please ask me and I will be by to help."