Hikari, Guardian of The Zodiac Curse

However, the guardian of the zodiac came back from her travels around the world, and she knew about it. She was also the witch who cast the spell on the Sohmas all those generations ago in hopes that her own life could end so she could be with her own family in the afterlife, but nothing to it. It only meant that in order for her to truly ascend to heaven, the curse had to be broken.

She had forgotten her name a long time ago, but the Sohmas simply gave her the name, Hikari Anaishia, which meant "guiding light" in Japanese. She was back since this was the lifetime her curse on the Sohmas was finally going to come to an end. She could feel it the moment the first zodiac member of this lifetime was born. The thought of the curse finally breaking after all this time made her happier than she had ever been in long time. She had later been named Hikari Sohma by the current Sohma family head to keep closer tabs on her.

Hikari knew what Momiji did over the break. She kept the knowledge to herself against her own conscience, though. Although, she did not keep it a secret to protect Momiji's innocence, or because she was worried about Hatsuharu being just as guilty. Hikari kept it secret from everyone else because she did not want to destroy Tohru's trust in Momiji. She also kept it to herself to keep Kyo from being the vigilante and getting an early sentencing to the cat's room for it.

Kyo was always accused of being in the wrong with the actions he took, and the last thing he needed was to also be accused of having possessive thoughts towards this Tohru Honda. Although he was not exactly the model of emotionally restraint, himself, Hikari knew just how sensible Kyo was, no matter what everyone else thought of him, even when they were completely ignorant of just how wrong they actually could be about him.

Hikari was the only one with knowledge of the zodiac curse who also knew how to actually bring it to an end. She was the one who cast the zodiac curse spell on the Sohmas in the first place, after all. She had to have the knowledge on how to bring an end to the curse if she was the one who cast the spell on the Sohma Family's lineage in the first place. "When the one who is never loved is finally loved, only then will the curse be broken." Those were the final words she spoke when she cast her enchantment on the Sohmas.

Hikari also knew that Isuzu Sohma, who was sometimes known as Rin, was trying her very hardest to break the curse. She supposed she could have helped Isuzu with that quest, but there was a problem with both her motivation and her position in its end. Isuzu was the possessed by the spirit of the horse, for one thing, so there was actually nothing she could do about it. She kept on trying everything to bring the curse to an end so that her love, Hatsuharu Sohma, the ox, could finally be free of Akito's grip.

The reason why Hikari always kept the closest eye of all on the cat of every generation, Kyo Sohma included, was because the cat was the very key zodiac animal to the end of the curse. It was all in what she said when she cast the zodiac curse on the Sohmas in an attempt to relieve herself of some of the responsibility and her own immortality. Although she just wanted freedom from it, she never could have foreseen what the Sohmas had to go through in every lifetime. Their suffering was a pretty difficult thing for her to watch, at the very least.

Even so, almost everyone in the Sohma clan, even his estranged father, treated Kyo like a monster who did not even belong in the family, especially at the cat's mother's funeral. For years since he took the cat boy under his wing, however, Kazuma Sohma, the martial arts instructor of the family, was the only Sohma who did not simply hate Kyo right away.

Kazuma took Kyo Sohma under his wing and adopted him after his mother's death and his father's less than remorseful disowning. Although Kyo's mother tried to love him the hardest she could, it was kind of in an unhealthy way, at best. At worst, it was obscene to watch Kyo's mother relentlessly try to keep the love she claimed to have for her son strong even when he doubted that she really loved him.