An Accidental Misnaming

Hikari turned to Tohru.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: Now, what's your name, my dear?

Tohru was still reeling from her own blushing fit, but she heard enough of what Hikari said to be able to answer her question properly.

Tohru Honda: My name is Tohru Honda.

Hikari was a bit confused by the very idea of a girl having what was clearly a boy's name. She tried not to rude about it, but could not help her curiosity being piqued by why this girl had such a masculine name.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: Why'd your parents give you a boy's name? They must've hated you or something.

Hikari's snide remark snapped Tohru out of her reeling dizziness just long enough for her eyes to tear up.

Yuki Sohma: Hikari, you insensitive little jerk.

Hikari saw her mistake, and tried to at least learn why this girl had a boy's name for some reason so she could fix what she did. She started off her question to this Tohru Honda with a classic apology.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: I'm sorry for accusing your parents of hating you just because you happen to have a boy's name. I didn't know you were sensitive about your own name. But now, I'd to learn your parents reasons for actually doing it from you, yourself, Tohru Honda.

Hikari struggled to call Tohru by her given name, but she finally managed to get the girl's rather masculine name out of her lips.

Tohru Honda: It's my parents I'm sensitive about, not my name. I mean, I was sensitive about my name in the past when I was finally told by bullies that it was far too masculine to even qualify as a girl's name, but it's my parents I was actually sensitive about in this situation.

Hikari suddenly saw what the actual problem was with her comment about Tohru.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: I'm sorry, I don't know why I thought a name would be the problem when it was clearly about your family. I guess I just didn't think that a girl who was really as feminine as you would actually have a boy's name. So, I'll ask this again, only in a more sensitive manner, this time around. Why do you have a boy's name?

Tohru listened to Hikari's explanation enough to stop tearing up and told her the story behind her name. Hikari listened closely to Tohru as best she could.

Tohru Honda: So, actually my dad gave me the name 'Tohru' to increase my femininity, not reduce it. These are his words from before he died when I was the age of three.

Hikari scratched the side of her head at Tohru's explanation, trying her hardest to make sense of such an idea. Yuki, Kyo and Arisa noticed Hikari scratching the side of her head at the idea. Of course, Kyo was quick to be annoyed by the head scratching.

Kyo Sohma: What's with the sudden head scratching? Is it really that hard for you to believe?

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: Hush, Kyo! I'm just trying to make sense of the idea, but all of my efforts are drawing a blank. How does giving one's only child and daughter a boy's name to make said daughter more feminine make any sense?

Tohru decided she needed to be one end Hikari's head-scratching misery and make her explanation clearer.

Tohru Honda: My dad said the idea of it just like 'adding something salty to something sweet to make it taste better'. Those were his words back when I was born.

Hikari was still a little bit confused by the sentiment, but then something clicked in her mind, and she was finally able to put the pieces of her own little brain puzzle together with relative ease.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: Oh, I see now. Your given name's kinda like a French fry dipped in a milkshake or bacon on top of ice cream.

It was now Tohru's turn to draw a blank on Hikari's statement. Tohru had never traveled much before, other than school field trips and vacations with the Sohmas. Tohru had also never been outside Japan, before. Even the Sohmas, themselves, all drew a blank on those food combinations.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma's mind: What the hell am I telling them all? Of course, none of them are gonna know what that sort of thing will even mean. I can't believe I keep forgetting that I'm back in Japan. You're not traveling, anymore, Hikari. You really need to start learning how to adapt to your surroundings and their people a lot better.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: I'm so sorry for confusing all of you. It's a concept with American food as an example. I always act like this whenever I return to Japan. I just sometimes completely forget that I'm not traveling around the world, anymore.

Tohru suddenly forgot all about her confusion towards what the example was and became much more interested in Hikari's lifestyle.

Tohru Honda: Wait a minute, you travel the world for a living? What places have you been to? When did you come back to the country? Do you go overseas a lot? And most all, what's your relationship to the Soh_

Hikari suddenly put her hands on Tohru's shoulders when she could not keep with this girl's questions.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: Whoa, whoa, whoa, take it easy, girl! One question for me at a time, Tohruko?

Hikari slowly removed her finger from Tohru's lips so the girl could ask her the questions she had.

Tohru Honda: Well, I first wanted to ask you_

Tohru started to Hikari her first question, which was going to be "to what places have you been?". But upon hearing what Hikari called her, Tohru immediately replaced her first question for this Hikari with...

Tohru Honda (continued): Wait a minute, did you just call me 'Tohruko'?

Hikari blushed a slight tint of pink and chuckled uncomfortably while rubbing the back of her head in embarrassment when she realized what she said.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: I'm sorry. I promise you that it was just a slip of the tongue, that's all. I really didn't mean to call you by something that wasn't your given name.

Tohru Honda: No, no, it's OK! You don't have to apologize. I don't mind it, at all. I just wanna know why the sudden renaming.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: I guess I still have a bit of a problem with the masculinity of your real name. I suppose I was trying to call you a name that sounded even a little bit more feminine. Guess I failed miserably, though. Not only that, but I kinda hurt your feelings even more in the process.

Tohru Honda: No, no, no, you didn't hurt my feelings, at all. Actually, my grandpa used to call me by my mom's given name, 'Kyoko', instead of mine. And, the name 'Tohruko' is also pretty cute, I guess. I mean, it kind of reminds me of a merge between what my grandpa used to call me and my given name. I was just a bit surprised by it, that's all. But, you can call me 'Tohruko' if you feel more comfortable that way.

Hikari was not sure what to think of Tohru's reaction, but she just went along with it.

Hikari Anaishia/Sohma: I really am sorry I misspoke when I tried to say your name, but I'm also grateful to you being as understanding as you were.

Hikari was in tears, and suddenly she hugged Tohru. Tohru hugged her back, showing her that all was forgiven.