16. The Uprising

Being a hero wasn't all that bad in full honesty. But sometimes, it was just flat out annoying. No matter what someone was always there beside you, telling you what to do what not to do. You life was refrained and morphed into societies liking. It made Dabi sick.

It wasn't long ago when Hawks and Dabi made their debut. There had been a house fire and a kidnapping. Hawks used his feathers to capture the kidnapper, rescuing the child, while Dabi used his own flames to control and extinguish the flames inside the building. Everyone immediately fell in love with the hero team!

As the years went by, Hawks got his own agency. They had agreed on Dabi starting his own, but he decided to just work with the winged hero in his because he "wasn't sure if he wanted his own hell hole".

They shared an apartment as well. Every now and then Dabi found himself wondering about Tomura. He had been missing for 4 years now and there still hadn't been a word nor a sighting of him. Just because of that, Dabi spent most nights patrolling the cities of Japan, hoping he would find any sort of sign of his cyanette partner.

And every time there was nothing.

"Dabiiii!"

Dabi blinked and turned his gaze to his winged friend, who was snapping in front of his face. When he saw Dabi back to reality, Hawks smirked and ruffled his hair.

"Think that sleep-deprevision is finally catching up to you!" The winged hero joked as he elbowed his arsonist friend.

"Doubtful. Just got lost in thought, that's all." Dabi lied. Well, half lied.

"Weird to think a thought has ever gone on in that head of yours." Hawks teased, swooping up into the air to avoid a swift swat from his redheaded friend. (A/N: The hair dye faded out over the years and Dabi kept it red bc he's too lazy to fix it and Hawks said he liked it bc it matched his wings-)

"I should say the same goes to you, Bird-Brain." Dabi sneered at the young pro hero.

A sly grin toyed at Keigo's lips as he hovered beside his friend. They were supposed to be at a meeting some of the pro heroes, hosted by the infamous All Might, 15 minutes ago. But, because Dabi wanted to be stubborn, they were late and decided to just fuck the meeting and not go. So now they're just roaming the streets, hoping to find something entertaining to do for the time being.

"So what were you thinking about?" Hawks finally asked after a few minutes of contemplating.

Dabi's icy blue eyes shifted over to his winged friend. Should I tell him? Having a hero on my side WOULD be more affective in finding Tomura than just me going alone. The scarred male turned his gaze away and focused on the sidewalk they walked upon. No. He wouldn't understand even if he wanted to.

"It's nothing. Just...remembering old times." Dabi improvised. I mean, it wasn't a full lie! Just a swift fib to keep his friend off his back.

With that statement, Hawks's face fell. Pity glazed over his eyes as he brought a hand up to rub Dabi's shoulder carefully. Unfortunately, Hawks was the reason Dabi was what he called a "hero". But his body always told him he was more; that his power shouldn't rely on him just saving people!

Most of it was anger. The names society labeled onto his dug through his skin like knives, but he kept up his act for their sake. For his sake.

Just as Dabi went to speak to Hawks again, an explosion went off in the distance. Both semi-heroes shifted their gaze towards the sight before looking at each other. With a smirk, Dabi spun around and dashed off ahead of Hawks.

"Oi! Wait up!" Hawks called after Dabi. His wings spread out and hoisted him into the air, zipping off after Dabi.

The redhead smirked as he dipped and dodged civilians who were staring in shock and fear at where the had gone off. He allowed his flames to burst him into the air as he got further and further away from the innocents.