՞՞130՞՞

My tongue froze in my mouth. I had no fucking clue me and Nick have been yelling at each other. And we didn't even hear Clay's footsteps, I had absolutely no idea how much of it he heard.

"Good luck explaining that to him." Nick's apparently mad at me.

"What the fuck is going on? I'm so confused right now." Clay's face expressions matched the description he gave about how he felt.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest from the thought of having a massive fight once again. We finally had a decent relationship after such a tough break, and I was scared that it was too fragile to survive another one.

"How much of it did you hear?" I tried to handle the situation in a way that wouldn't make it worse.

"I just woke up from your voices and came to check." Clay frowned and I saw the particles of hope shining in Nick's eyes.

"You didn't hear any of it?" Nick jumped in.

Clay struggled to answer. The reason behind him opening his mouth and shutting it close multiple times was still unclear to me.

"I.. heard a little bit, but it must be the concussion," he finally spoke, "I'm okay if everything's okay between you two."

I'm sure he heard at least the last sentence of our argument, which was the one Nick came up with. There wasn't even a slight possibility of him missing that sentence.

Instead of speaking I stared at Clay until he would tell the truth. But from the was he was so unsure about what he heard, made me realize that he trusted us too much. Well, I wouldn't believe my own ears if I heard something like that either.

"We're good, we were just joking." Nick wasn't going to lose the opportunity of making himself come out of the water dry.

But I felt so fucking guilty for lying to Clay. Well in my case I wasn't lying, I was just hiding the truth. But it still felt wrong taking advantage of the poor guy's concussion and throwing dust in his eyes.

I decided to have a talk with him in private. I'm sure he'll understand.

So we went back to the bedroom, taking the awkward atmosphere with us. Nick claimed to go back to sleep even though I already knew that he didn't sleep before this and wasn't going to sleep now.

As we closed the bedroom door, I spoke hurriedly.

"I just heard him go to the bathroom and wanted to have a talk with him and-"

"Liz," Clay interrupted me right as I tried to speak, "you don't need to tell me everything. It's okay."

"But I want you to know." I knew he was just being nice and trying to not put me through the trauma of explaining the mess me and Nick made.

"Maybe I don't want to know," he sounded so calm and under control, "I wouldn't even walk in if I wasn't worried about what was happening. I thought you guys were fighting."

"No, it's nothing serious, I just don't know how to explain.."

Clay grabbed my hand and softly pulled me into his arms. I sighed, feeling extremely bad about the situation and knowing that I'd make things even more weird if I told the truth.

I was already scared to imagine the tension between me and Nick after this night, and the last thing I wanted was to drag Clay into this as well.

"I just have a question. Just to clear some things up." Clay's voice made me break the hug and look at him in the darkness of the room.

"Yeah, anything." I nodded.

He struggled for a second, starting the sentence and changing his mind immediately quite a few times. But finally we got there.

"I heard Nick's words.. at the end."

And I'd lie if I said I was surprised. I knew there was no way in hell he could miss that.

I nodded, waiting for his question instead of talking immediately and most definitely saying wrong things.

"I just want you to tell me if I misheard it or not. I hope I did, cause I was kinda sleepy and confused."

He sounded so worried and sad at the same time, and I totally understood why. It's hard to believe Nick's words especially when he didn't even have any idea about what was happening between me and him during this short yet tiring period of time.

"I'm afraid you heard it right.." I hung my head, disappointed in myself.

"Is that why he was so mad at me everytime I did anything with you?" And turns out he felt it too.

"I guess so.." I sighed.

We were speechless for quite a while. Both thinking what to do or what to say. The only thing left was to hope Nick would get back to normal over time. As far as I remember, I used to have crushes on people I didn't even know just by seeing them in my dreams.

"What can I say, he has weird preferences." Clay chuckled.

Uhm..

Should I take that as an insult? I think I should.

"Excuse me?" I raised a brow. It probably was just a bad joke he came up with from nervousness.

"I mean he could've said he wanted to fuck Clay at least.."

What the fuck is wrong with him? Why is he having narcissistic episodes all of a sudden. And did he just say that he's better than me?

"Are you trying to make jokes right now? Or am I missing the point?" I moved my shoulders up in disbelief, trying to understand where this whole thing was going.

"I'm just saying that it would be slightly better if he wanted to fuck me and not the ridiculous teletubby-"

"Did you just fucking call me a teletubby? What the hell is wrong with you?"

The anger in my voice was rising with every word I said. I expected a comeback from him but instead he raised a brow. And after looking at me for a while, he spoke.

"Didn't he say he wants to fuck Dream or something like that?"

Fuck.

My jaw dropped involuntarily. I'd laugh if things went in a different direction, but now I knew that I fucked up.

Oh god what should I do.

"I'm-" I took a breath, "no.. he didn't."

I shut my eyes, realizing that I sold myself out.